HDTV question...

HERE is the link to the PDF manual for my TV if this helps.

As far as the graphics card, it does state that resolution on the box. Also, with the ATI Catalyst drivers, it is a listed resolution. I am a little out of my league here, but I would immagine if it shows as a supported resolution in both of these, than it should be able to support it. I certainly would not plan on playing Quake III at 1920 resolution though :lol:

No, unfortunately I do not have a monitor that has a DVI input. I did take a dell 21" monitor (Rebranded Sony Trinitron) and pumped it up to 1920 resolution, just for testing sake, and it looked great on the standard VGA port .

What smee is saying is that your DVI port can't put out the 1080i resolution, only the VGA port can. This would explain some of the issues are you seeing. So you will have to stick with a lower resolution or upgrade the hardware.

Having read through most of your TV manual and not having found any limitations on your DVI input or anything about "choosing" between interlaced and progressive (must have been misleading info that I found yesterday), I gotta admit smee and electron's conclusion is the most likely.

Anyway, from past experience these guys are always right ! :lol:

I don't have a DVI output on my PC, so I use a VGA > DVI-I adapter made by Belkin to connect to an HD projector with a regular VGA cable (like your TV no VGA-in). This might be cheaper than buying a VGA > component cable, which is what I used to use at work in China.

Here's a link to the adapter.

The Graphics card is a Radeon 9200se

the SE part of that statement is your problem. These cards are not recommended. Cheaply made, bad tv out, etc...

Card specific issues
Please be aware that in the ATI world "SE" is not a good thing. It is not a value added edtion of a video card. Most other vendors would call these cards something like LE (Lite-Edition). All ATI based cards called "SE" are stunted in some way, for example a 9800SE is a 9800 with half its pipelines disabled, and often half its memory bandwidth. The 9600SE and 9200SE have only a 64-bit wide memory interface rather than the full 128-bit the non-SE have.
Another way you can tell that "SE" is not better is that the prices for SE versions are cheaper than their non-SE brethren which should tip you off immediately.

In the NVIDIA world sometimes these type of cards are labeled "LE", but more often you have to check the fine print. Many GeForce FX 5200 cards only have a 64-bit wide memory interface.

For anyone interesting in gaming, video upscaling (for example FFDShow), WMV-HD, or displaying via VMR9, using a LE/SE/64-bit model will cripple your ability to do these tasks.

Also to keep in mind is that many of the low end cards such as the Radeon 9200SE and GF-FX 5200 64-bit cards are made very cheaply, I have seen multiple complaints about poor TV-out quality on these ultra-cheap cards.

http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9263

Sorry I couldn't bring better news :lol:

Well looks like we found the root of the problem SE= "Sucky Edition", Stripped(down) Edition" ect :lol:

So do you think
THIS ADAPTER would do the job?

Having 3 computers here makes it a bit tight to get the best for all of them! I have a GeForce 5700 256 Megger in this PC, and it kicks butt. I play Unreal Tournament with EVERYTHING cranked up with no problem. Same with "Far Cry".

I am not gonna get another card for the MediaPC at the moment, so I would immagine that the above adapter should work out ok for me?

John:

I'm coming in here late in the thread, but why not buy something like THIS for your media edition PC, its only double the cost of that adapter?

If I am reading this right, that adapter is to convert DVI to VGA, not VGA to DVI. I have the FX5200 256meg card myself, and it's a great card. Several manufactures put them in Media Center PC's as well, so that card would probably do the job.

I think that if you check, that adapter is not converting any signals. The DVI connector on most video cards also has the analog signals coming out of it. The adapter is only providing a VGA connector connected to those signals.

[Rant]
ARGH!!!! More money, more money! I was ALMOST done with the post, when the power flickered. My system rebooted! Guess its now time to replace the Backup Power Supply as well! These things suck! Its only about 8 months old, and couldn't handle a 1 second power drop! (Yes, I just crawled under the desk and the monitor/CPU and wireless mouse are plugged into the correct sockets on the UPS:)
[/Rant]

Ok, back to the topic at hand.....for the 2nd time...........

BSR, that card looks decent for the money for sure. I paid around $120 for this 9200SE about 6 months ago. For the sole reason of the resolutions supported, as well as the DVI out. Of course, on the outside of the box, this small snafu was never mentioned:
NOTE: resolutions are limited by the performance of the attached monitor. DVI-I monitors will be limited to 1600x1200.

I'm gonna run up to Best Buy, / CompUSA and see if I can get this locally. They are both within a mile of my house, and saves waiting a few days for it to get here, as I wanted this working yesterday. Good thing about this as well is I can always just run it back if it dosent work, and not have to deal with RMA's, shipping and the whole waiting game.

Wish me luck!
EDIT

Nothing to be found locally... Will prob have to order that one from above. I just REALLY hope this does the trick. Something that should have been so simple has turned into a big mess :lol:

If you are still considering the adapter, either one will work. The one I linked to uses a VGA cable and the one you linked to needs a DVI cable. The first is $8 cheaper tho, and does work as I use it for exactly that.

If you're going for the card, fair enough, might be better than your SE.

Either way, good luck!

Just remembered, if you did get the second adapter you wouldn't be able to use the DVI cable that you took a pic of. Being a DVI-D cable it won't transfer the analog signal.

Well after playing with my ATI9600Pro and my Samsung HLS5687W and a DVI-HDMI cable I am not having much luck. It worked sometime.. but other times the TV says that the signal is not there or too weak. Also I don't think the 9600 will out HDTV rez through the DVI connector either. So I am in search of a decent graphics card that will work.

So JohnWB what did you end up getting??

John

Sorry it Took a PM from you to get me to see the thread! I haven't been back in the section of the forums for a while.

I went with a Ati Radeon X700 PRO Graphics Card. If you can beleive it, I found it at Wal~Mart for just over $100. It supported 1920 x 1080, so I took a gamble and it worked out well, especially ofr the price! It's just a 256mb Gfx card, but really all I needed. It does handle Far Cry (which is pretty kewl on a 65" screen) pretty well, as long as you dont crank everything all the way up :(

Back