Hello World

Hi,

My name is Brandt, I'm 28 and live in Southern California.

I'm going to be graduating college this year with a BS in Computer Science.

I'm interested in robotics and home automation, and automation in general.

Currently am going forward with x10 and using a linux based NAS for my home automation server (Synology DS209j) trying both heyu and misterhouse.

I have a pretty decent list of HA hardware although nowhere near complete.

I've recently been successful in setting up linux voice recognition on my NAS using Julius, Flite TTS, and a custom written dialog manager with speakers wired through the phone lines, and baby monitors for room mics.

My two latest hardware additions are the w800usb whole house rf receiver, and the XTB-IIR repeater. (They say while x10 filters solve 1% of your problems the XTB-IIR solves 99%, and its true)

I would like to upgrade to either an AB8SS or ESS modules in the future but for now, it's slow and steady..good whole house audio is too rich for me..

I still need to get some ds10a's and a bunch more motions sensors to setup home security..

Hi Brandt, welcome to CT!

Which voices did you select for Flite? How did you interface the mic/speakers? USB soundcard?

Hi Brandt, welcome to CT!

Which voices did you select for Flite? How did you interface the mic/speakers? USB soundcard?

Yes for Flite, I just went with '-voice awb' it's scottish, but it sounds the most natural.
To interface the mic/speakers with my NAS (which only has USB ports) I used a $2.80 (free shipping) JMTek 3D sound usb adapter (from Hong Kong)

-Brandt

Welcome to the group Brandt. If you're interested in Linux HA you should also have a look at DomotiGa. Keep us posted on your progress!

Terry

Welcome to the group Brandt. If you're interested in Linux HA you should also have a look at DomotiGa. Keep us posted on your progress!

Terry

Hi Terry, I checked out DomotiGa and exchanged a couple of emails with the creator. Unfortunately since it is European based they don't really support the w800RF or really even x10 for that matter.

Back