Hello

rbejr

After following along on CocoonTech for over a year I've finally joined and am looking forward to getting back into HA.  I say "getting back" into HA because about 10 years ago I owned a condo that I automated extensively. 

The condo had a Stargate in it with a dedicated computer running a program called Home Voice.  I had a wall mounted microphone in each room and used voice commands to run many tasks via X10.  I could control the overhead lighting (X10 Switchlincs), alarm system (Caddx), and even my fireplace (via Stargate w/ infrared xpander and home voice).  Eventually I got married, bought a house, and gave up automating things.  Then a couple of years ago I moved again.  This time to a house I plan to be in for a long, long time.  So, I started looking at automation again, and was suprised to find that all the things I knew about and had used in the past were now obsolete. 

Since then, I have spent a lot of time reading on this website and others, researching the various technologies that are now available.  I initially looked at Control4 because my builder recommended it and had it in his own home.  However, I decided that I'm too much of a tinkerer to lock myself into a closed system that uses a proprietary technology.  The house came with an Elk M1 already installed, not for automation but for security with door and motion sensors.  So, I figured I would use the M1 and a software based system instead of going the HAI or Hometroller route.  I demoed Elve, Homeseer and CQC and read everything I could about them on the forums.  I finally concluded that CQC was the best fit for me because it supports the Elk M1, Sonos (which I already have), and looks like it will be around for the long haul.  I've purchased a CQC license but have not yet set it up.

The next step for me was to decide on a lighting technology.  The only one I was familiar with was X10, which was never very reliable for me.  People were just begining to switch over to Insteon from X10 when I last looked at HA.  At the time my Stargate didn't support it and so I'd never used it.  So, when I began looking into HA again I started by looking at Insteon.  From my reading on CocoonTech it became apparent that Insteon had a lot of problems with switches failing etc.  So I expanded my research to look at a bunch of things I'd never heard of:  UPB, Zwave, Zigbee, Lutron Raidiora2, etc...  Now a year later I've finally pulled the trigger on a Lurton Radiora2 system that is being installed in a couple of weeks.  It interfaces with the M1, I can control it with CQC, etc...

Once I get CQC up and running and the Radiora2 system installed, I plan to turn my attention to cameras, garage door control, etc...I have tons of questions regarding these things but I think this post is too long already so I'll save them for another day.  Thanks in advance to everyone who posts on CocoonTech.  I've learned a ton by reading through this website.

Best Regards,

Rich

Welcome!  

Inheriting an Elk is awesome and puts you well on your way - and you should be quite happy with the RadioRA.

If you're interested in things like Garage Doors and Irrigation, just make sure you have a good understanding of Form C Relays and how they work - they're the next big key to understanding how to switch things that otherwise have no set "interface".

Good luck - you're off to a great start already!

Back