Help Installing Insteon 3 Way Switch

chilump

I am trying to install a pair of linked Insteon 3 way switches and I am having a really difficult time getting this done. I currently have 2 light switches that control about 8 recessed lights.

The problem I seem to have is there appears to be an additional wire that I don't know the purpose of it is.

As you can see in the pictures Light switch 1has two wires that connect to the black terminal screw. One is a punch in and the other is screw in. The punch in always has 120v going to it. The other connection to the screw terminal and the black wire connected on the bottom has voltage depending on wether the light is on. I also have the red cable which I believe is going to the lights and of course the ground.

For switch two I have 2 black wire punch ins and again the red wire with I assume goes to the lights.

I have a set of white neutral wires in the back of the box.

I followed the instructions for creating the virtual 3way switch but I can't seem to get either of the switches to turn the lights on and off.

Attachments

• switch_1.JPG
    switch_1.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 40
  • switch_1b.jpg
    switch_1b.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 38
  • switch_2.jpg
    switch_2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 33
If the two switches are already wired as a standard 3way, then you will have one extra wire left over that you will need to cap or tape.
Basically, you are installing one switch that is connected to the load and one that has NO load. So in addition to the extra wire, you will be capping the load lead on one of the insteon units.
While this is rather simple in concept, I can say from experience that it is a bit confusing when you are installing these in crowded multigang boxes.

The problem I seem to have is there appears to be an additional wire that I don't know the purpose of it is.

If the two switches are already wired as a standard 3way, then you will have one extra wire left over that you will need to cap or tape.
Basically, you are installing one switch that is connected to the load and one that has NO load. So in addition to the extra wire, you will be capping the load lead on one of the insteon units.
While this is rather simple in concept, I can say from experience that it is a bit confusing when you are installing these in crowded multigang boxes.

Thanks for your help. I really hope I can figure this out.

Through further examination I have found that there is an addition cable sheath containing a ground, black and neutral wire present on both sides (primary and secondary). I was able to identify the two travelers that share a cable sheath and the 120v wire coming into the secondary box. I also have the neutral and the ground wires. I just don't know the purpose of the cable.

When I connect everything up the way the Insteon directions say I get power to both sides but I can't turn the lights on and off. When i include that extra wire in the "line" bundle on both sides the lights just stay on. I can't turn them on and off.

In the picture that misc wire is at the bottom on both lights.

Thanks for your help

i know how frustrating these are for those of us that are not electricians

there will be one wire in the house wires that is not used - the traveler - it will not be connected at either switch

there will be one switch that you will wire as you would any insteon craplinc - when you wire that switch in the box, it will control the light - i focus on getting that one done

in the other box, you won't use the load wire on the craplinc - like the other box, you won't use the house's traveller wire - when you get them both in, the insteon link (that you set up) will establish the communication link for the switches to talk

place a wire nut on the unused wires so they won't make contact with other wires

everyone thx for your help. i figured out the problem in that the extra cable that i found was actually for the power of outlets and another light switch. everything is working great now.

Back