Help installing RG6 connections

kurtmccaslin

I am a newbie struggling to install compression connections on RG6 cable. I have a Thomas & Betts IT1000 installation tool and am using Thomas and Betts SNS1p6u compression fittings rated for both RG6 and RG6quad. I have tried it on RG6 and quad-- with the same result.

The stripping and compression of the fitting are both straight forward. My problem is I am struggling to press the cable end onto the cable after it is stripped. After about 10 minutes of pressing and twisting, I am finally able to get the connector fully inserted, but I cant believe it should be this hard. I have blisters on my fingers after installing only 4 end fittings.

Can someone enlighten me as to the trick to get these fittings on? ;)

I am definitely not a pro at this, but in my experience you need to make sure you fold the shielding back so that you just have the aluminum foil layer and dialectic exposed at the tip. If you haven't folded the foil back, or if you fold it back unevenly, then you will run into the problems you describe. Here is a picture of what it should look like:
HDTV_cable5.jpg

Dave

If you are not already using one, you need a tool to hold the connector while you are trying to push the cable into the connector. I use this one here
You can screw the connector on one end of it and then use the tool to get more leverage and pressure for inserting the cable into the connector. Saves a lot of hand pain and it work much better than doing it by hand. This tool is not expensive and can be found at most home supply stores such as Lowes and Home Depot.

If you are not already using one, you need a tool to hold the connector while you are trying to push the cable into the connector.

;) :) :hesaid:

Absolutely. I just got that tool for the wrench part, and didn't even understand what the threaded knob on the back was for. But once I did, it makes a HUGE difference in the pain and effort experience terminating RG6.

I did something quick-n-dirty when I was doing a bunch of RG6... I took a piece of scrap board and drilled a 1/4" hole through it. Then I took a spade bit (1/2" IIRC) and drilled part way through to make an indentation in the top. I set the connector centered over the hole in the indentation, and it holds it (more or less) while I push the cable in.

Im not sure what kind of cabling and/or connectors you guys are using, but I have used RG6 from Ethereal (http://www.etherealhometheater.com) and Home Depot along with the Ideal branded RG6 compression connectors purchased from Home Depot with NO issues - probably 100+ connections over the past 3-5 years. I have never folded back the braided insulation and was always able to side on the connector BY HAND without a problem.

I have also done the same with Siamese cable from Belden (RG6+18/2) using compression BNC connectors for security cameras.

The only time I did have a problem is when I had some quad RG6 cable and was (unknowingly at the time) trying to use standard RG6 connectors.

Great ideas! What a wealth of knowledge on this board! I am going to focus on the foil, get a new tool, and if all else fails, fire up the lighter. I also plan to try different cable brands before I wire the entire house. Thankyou all! :)

Double check if your connectors are the right thing. I remember buying connectors from Home Deport thinking they were labeled RG6 and RG6QS. Turned out the RG6 was on a blue background and RG6QS on a black which later turned out to mean i had indeed bought RG6 and was trying to make them work with RG6QS.

It takes a little wiggling, but if you fold back the braid it shouldn't be as hard as you describe, blisters and all. The amount of effort you described sounds exactly what I was going through when trying to fit RG6 fittings on RG6QS cable. Had pain in my fingers and hands for days.

Back