Help with sanitizing swimming pool water

JonW said:
Do you have a Leslie's Pool Supply or similar place around you?  They will do a 9 point test on your water for free and let you know what you need to correct it.   http://www.lesliespool.com/9p/l.htm

The local pool store just uses a dip strip to test and only tests for basic stuff. They can't do the detailed testing that I'm doing woithout coming to the house several times.

I think that I see the big picture now in relation to combined and free chlorine.

It takes an effective chlorine level that is approx ten times the amount of combined cl to break up the combined cl so that it is released into the atmosphere. If you get your combined chlorine down to 0.2 ppm and maintain a free cl level of ~ 4 or greater then your effective cl will always be 10x your combined cl and breaking up the combined cl so that it is continuously escaping into the air.

However, once your combined cl gets as high as mine (3.5ppm) due to a lack of cl then you need to blast the water with 35ppm to break up the combined molecules.

It is the weekend and we're using the pool so I plan to wait until tomorrow to put 4 gallons of liquid cl and see what happens.

Mike.

Remember, you have to consider your pH and CYA levels too when determining what level of FC you need. 10x is simply a standard number used, but you may not have to go that high.

video321 said:
Remember, you have to consider your pH and CYA levels too when determining what level of FC you need. 10x is simply a standard number used, but you may not have to go that high.
That is what I'm not exactly clear on. I have read that it takes 10 ppm "free" chlorine to break up 1 ppm combined chlorine but.......after taking CYA and PH into consideration, what does the "effective" chlorine need to be in order to break up 1 ppm combined chlorine?

I raised my free chlorine well above 20 ppm and the combined chlorine was not affected at all at 3.5 ppm.

Tell me if this sounds good to you.

I have a chart that shows that for a pool my size,  approx 1 pint of 12% liquid chlorine will yield 1 ppm free chlorine. There are 8 pints in 1 gallon so 4 gallons get me to 32 ppm free chlorine. I may even go with 4.5 gallons and then check the combined cl an hour or so later.

if that does not lower the combined chlorine I will drain and replace some water. I have a well and I hate to run it long hours but I can do a little each week and the rain will also help over time.

I'd say try to get FC to 25 and make sure you hold it there - check the level as needed. That's for a CYA of 50. You would need to go a little higher if your CYA is higher. If you're not positive what the CYA is then hit harder.

Did you adjust your pH like you had planned?

The ph was at 7.6 once the chlorine got below 10. I've noticed that ph moves directly proportional to chlorine levels. I might add just a little muriatic acid to get it to ~7.2 before shocking again.

When you say "hold it there" how long do you mean to hold it?

Last week I tested the free cl at 20 and added two cups of sustain energizer which is 68% Calcium Hypochlorite which should have given me 24 - 25 ppm free cl and it id not change the combined cl. Every time I miss the target I am throwing chlorine away.

I plan to go up near 30 ppm this time.

EDIT
correction - I plan to go closer to 35 this time which gives me the suggested 10x dose.

OK so I have a plan.

I'm meeting friends for coffee and after that I'm off to BJ's to get a couple of cases of liquid chlorine. I'll start with three gallons giving about 24 ppm and check the CC after a few hours. If it has not dropped I'll add a fourth gallon of chlorine and check again in a few hours. It's a bright sunny day which should help it work.

Mike.

Actually... a sunny day is bad as that will use up the chlorine as well.
When I need to boost my FC I use generic bleach from walmart. If you do that make absolute sure to get bleach without any additives, such as scents.

Again... best of luck!

My luck is not so good, I'm going to have to do it right.

I added 3 gallons at 9:30am. 1:30 pm measured 23 ppm free cl and still 3.5 combined cl (no change).  So I added another gallon of cl which I expect to raise the free cl to a little over 30ppm. Will test again in a few hours.

Back