HikVision HD-DB1 Video Doorbell

pete_c

Guru
Hikvision is now selling the HD-DB1 doorbell.  It is the same as the 3rd party sellers of said doorbell.

DS-HD1

Personally here have disabled any cloud connectivity and phone apps to my Video Doorbell.

I use VPN on WAN connected Tablets, Phones and laptops.

Works great.

Just recently have configured a MQTT-Onvif connection to the doorbell which will work sending emails / texts with recorded video links.

Pete

I like it, you may have just cost me $150, No online storage fee, runs on existing 24v power supply and communicates with Blue Iris. I've been waiting for an affordable camera that does all of the above at an affordable price.

Mike.

You can purchase the OEM version for around $90 now on Amazon and then just upgrade the firmware with the Hikvision firmware.

The world (literally global) of CCTV is either Hikvision or Dahua with many 3rd party sub sets using customized software / firmware on these cameras.

Well it was the EZ-Viz version and it was there yesterday and today it is now $100 or so.

Here run the Hikvision Mobile app with a VPN connection to home.  I can see doorbell rings (recordings) and PIR events (recordings).

What I am configuring though is the mimic of the cloud apps for texting events with links to triggers videos or stills.

All of the third party OEM versions really connect to the Hikvision cloud subcontracted to the third party companies with their own names. IE: the RCA, EZViz, et al cloud connections are all Hikvision. That said the service is free any how. No monthly fees like the Ring doorbell.

I am testing open camera boards here with facial recognition built in to the firmware (HikVision). They are now whole little computers that fit on a 38 mm square motherboard.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1325]

Guessing next generation Video Doorbell cams will be past 10 MP resolution and will be a bit more intelligent. 

It bothers me that these devices all access cloud servers via their apps. I wish that I could get doorbell-rings and all of the camera's functions without the thing phoning home. I can access the camera via onvif with BI but if I want to get doorbell rings I to use need their app. I think that using their app exposes me and there's nothing that i can do about that.

I'm surprised that most people have no problem with a device that is accessed by the manufacturer's computers. Laptops, ipads, iphones, even your car is watching you. It still gives me the creeps. I feel like it will be used to my detriment at some point if it isn't already.

Mike.

Well that was the issue with the HikVision / Hikvision OEM doorbell cams and folks that wanted to use their cell phones to access the doorbell cams.

They are selling these with free cloud storage and giving you the smart phone apps.

That was the concern with new WiFi switches; IE:Leviton switches connecting to the Leviton cloud.

BUT if you replace the firmware on these switches you can keep everything local without a cloud connection.
This is what I am doing with my WiFi switches. NONE of them are using any cloud app today.

The base Hikvision / Hikvision OEM software / firmware now includes local access via RTSP, ONVIF and JPG. 

IE such that you can connect it to a local NVR and NVR software at home.

I have mine configured this way plus Homeseer Touch screens and HAI Omnitouch screens.

Using VPN / Hikvision app I can see all of the video doorbell presses and PIR events directly connecting to the camera.  If you run the Hkivision CCTV server you can trigger cellular texts / emails and this totally bypasses the cloud.

Next accessing the feature set of the doorbell camera without using the cloud app.  It's always been there but shut off in the firmware anyhow.

This is where I mention tapping in to the ONVIF stuff. This stuff is documented in the ONVIF API.  So the application I wrote about above is using ONVIF API stuff to access the PIR on the Doorbell camera same as the next one that will tap in to the door bell ringing.

I have the  EZ-Viz version of this and have been using it a few months.  I picked it up off Amazon for $89.99.  I really like this camera.  I use it with BlueIris and avoid using any of the "cloud" functionality of the camera.  I think it is probably one of, if not the best doorbell style cameras out there right now.  It doesn't require that you use the cloud or pay a subscription to use it and the quality is better than most of the other options out there. It is also very easy to integrate into a CCTV system like BlueIris if you have a larger installation. However it will work on its own too. Even if you don't have a CCTV DVR system, You can use the SD Card option for local recording of files and still avoid the cloud if you want

I would not hesitate to recommend this to people or even buy another one myself (if I had the need).

I still have not bought a video doorbell yet. After a bad experience with a Nutone, or I should say two Nutone video doorbells I'm in no hurry,

One advantage that I see the Hikvision DS-HD1 has over the EZ-VIZ with firmware upgrade and others is that it has 128GB card slot which is bigger than any other I've seen. does the firmware upgrade increase the maximum storage?

Mike.

Thinking it was on sale for Amazon Prime day for around $79.

You can install a 128 Gb SD card on the video doorbell.  Some folks on the IPCam forum mention the faster SD card the better.

Here updated my Nelly DB to using Hikvision firmware and took it off the cloud.  

Running fine here.

I got one (DS-HD1) about a month ago.  Very nice doorbell with a good image that doesn't lag.  It was easy to connect it to my Hikvision DVR (7200 series with POC) to maintain the recordings locally.  I put together a little project that enables it to activate the chime module on the Nutone intercom system I installed 30 years ago...don't generally carry my phone around the house or outdoors and I wouldn't be able to hear the DS-HD1 most places.

keepersg said:
I got one (DS-HD1) about a month ago.  Very nice doorbell with a good image that doesn't lag.  It was easy to connect it to my Hikvision DVR (7200 series with POC) to maintain the recordings locally.  I put together a little project that enables it to activate the chime module on the Nutone intercom system I installed 30 years ago...don't generally carry my phone around the house or outdoors and I wouldn't be able to hear the DS-HD1 most places.
I read a review on Amazon that claims that there is a problem with the default password making it hard or impossible to set up your wifi connection. did you have any problem with wifi communications? did you use their supplied app to setup or something else? Did you have any trouble with the default password?

The Hd-DS1 cost $200 at BHPhotovideo and Amazon has it for $111 which has be thinking it may be a knock-off?

Mike.

pete_c said:
Thinking it was on sale for Amazon Prime day for around $79.

Which camera is on sale for $79?

pete_c said:
You can install a 128 Gb SD card on the video doorbell.  Some folks on the IPCam forum mention the faster SD card the better.

Here updated my Nelly DB to using Hikvision firmware and took it off the cloud.  

Running fine here.

I'm wondering why you would but the Nelly cam for $139 when the Hikvision is available for $111 on Amazon. Is it better in some way?

Mike.

No clones that I know of. Same hardware different firmware different smartphone apps. Here changed all passwords and removed device from the cloud.  The EzViz was on sale.

mikefamig said:
I read a review on Amazon that claims that there is a problem with the default password making it hard or impossible to set up your wifi connection. did you have any problem with wifi communications? did you use their supplied app to setup or something else? Did you have any trouble with the default password?

The Hd-DS1 cost $200 at BHPhotovideo and Amazon has it for $111 which has be thinking it may be a knock-off?

Mike.
I used the Hik-Connect App.  I had no trouble with it.  Basically, you set up an account, scan in the devices QR code with your phone and follow the verbal instructions.  You connect your phone the the devices wifi, then use that connection to connect to configure the phone and connect to your wifi.  There wasn't a password for the device's wifi.  I bought mine from B&H.  The manual has the QR code on the cover and it is also on the doorbell button under the faceplate.  If those are missing, I'd suspect it of being a knock off. The manual gives the procedure for changing the wifi connection. There is a password involved with that with instructions in the manual. You have to have the devices verification code to construct the password. The verification code is printed on the back of the doorbell. Again if that isn't there, there's probably something amiss. It would be somewhat easy for someone not reading carefully to mistake the example password in the manual for the password.

Back