HikVision HD-DB1 Video Doorbell

BTW here configured my DB in the house with a spare AC transformer.  Much easier for me to do this on the workbench.

I just connected the transformer to an AC power cord from an old computer and connected the low voltage AC leads out to the doorbell.  

My Nelly doorbell came only with a sticker / bar code on the back of the box.  No mention of Nelly.  The top of the box showed a picture of the doorbell and contents of the box.  Thinking I paid around $120 for it.  

The Amazon price of $75 was the best I have seen.  It will come down in price again.

Here is a step by step guide that we have put together.

I am pete_c on the IPCamTalk forum ==> hxxps://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-rca-hsdb2a-3mp-doorbell-ip-camera.31601/

Hikvision Doorbell Guide

Here using JPG stills, ONVIF and RTSP.  Works great.   READ the guide.  Many hours to put this together.  If you have any questions relating to the configuration ask me here or post your questions on the IPCamTalk forum.

For the doorbell ring I am still using the old ELK 960 / 930 combo doorbell circuit boards going to a zone on the alarm panel and an ONVIF to MQTT motion plugin.  Works great.

I have not seen any clones sold or know of any clones sold anywhere.

IE: HIKVISION (DS-HD1), RCA (HSDB2A), EZVIZ (DB1), LAVIEW (LV-PDB1630-U), NELLY'S (NSC-DB2), LTS (LTH-7132-WIFI)

Again these are hardware identical and vary in price depending on where you are buying them.

I've been reading at ipcamtalk.com and it's discouraging. there are pages of problems and pages of fixes. I really am not looking for another hobby, I just want a good working doorbell. I tried a Nutone a year or so ago and two of them failed after a short time. I suspect overheatiing or some sort of power problem. this time I want plug and play that works with Blue Iris and no cloud.

I'm leaning towards Hikvision DS-HD1. Suggestions?

Mike.

EDIT - I chose Hikvision over EZ-VIZ because the latter does not appear to support onvif. I'm thinking that onvif is the easy way to communicate with Blue Iris? True?

Here updated my Nelly DB with latest Hikvision firmware.  

The DB has never overheated, reset itself, works fine with Alexa Show (and Monocle), JPG snapshots, ONVIF and RTSP.

I do not utilize any of the phone apps here and only program the DB with Hikvision's Batch Configuration program.

The chart depicts the off the shelf firmware / app features.

Post here when you are configuring your DB.

Easiest way is to set it up on the workbench.

Purchase a spare Doorbell transformer, wire it up to AC using an old computer power cord and to the doorbell using the low voltage wires.

I am guessing you have a standard doorbell and chime configuration.  

Post here or PM or call me if you have any issues.  The posts on IPCamTalk cam get a bit overwhelming.

Easiest to read the Google Doc.

Note too that my DB is not connected to the cloud app. (tablet or smartphone).

IE: I do not answer the doorbell with my cell phone. That said users of said DB have no issues with these features.

I utilize VPN to get to the DB and all automation - CCTV et al on the home LAN.

I wouldn't say that there are ton's of issues with these devices.  I've had mine installed for months now without any issues (EZWiz branded model).  I would absolutely recommend these units to family, friends, neighbors and fellow Cocoontechers.

The only issue with wifi that I have seen/read about is that many of the variations won't connect to a wifi network initially when 5ghz is turned on.  I personally experienced this and simply had to turn my 5ghz transmitter off so that only the 2.4ghz band was being transmitted.  Once I did that the unit immediately allowed me to finish the setup process.  Once the set up process is done, you can tun the 5ghz bands back on and the camera will connect using those 5ghz bands.  My camera has been connected via 5ghz the entire time I've owned it.

You have to understand that the people on IPCamTalk have been swapping firmware and trying to get features working that were not initially turned on in certain firmware.  The "issues" they are having are all self imposed.

Thanks for the input, I've been guilty myself of casing self imposed problems in the past.

5GHZ rf is more prone to interference than 2.4GHZ which may be the reason for your setup problem. I have read that the lower frequency passes through physical obstructions better than 5GHZ and there are likely more devices in your house like a cordless phone that may interfere with 2.4.

I'm going to order the Hikvsion branded doorbell at Amazon and run it as it comes out of the box, no tampering.

Mike.

Thinking here originally set up mine at 2.4Ghz.  Thinking earlier I suggested to set it up on a workbench with an AC transformer and an old computer power cord.

What can you guys tell me about the difference between "visitor mode" and  "account mode" with Hikvision?

I have installed the DB and I'm using it in visitor mode. I intend to later add it to Blue Iris so that I can access it along with my other cams. What are the advantages of "account mode" in the Hikvision app? It appears that I need to upgrade to account mode by registering a phone number of email address in order to view the DB with more than one IOS device. Is this true? What else do I get with an account?

Mike.

I have mine on account mode which I 'think' (because I haven't tried it otherwise) allow remote access to your doorbell from outside your local network.  You are also able to generate a QR code which if scanned by another person's phone which has the app on visitor mode will allow them to remotely answer the doorbell but will not allow them to configure it.  At least that's how I read the documentation which is difficult to understand and find  You can also use Hik-Connect on their DVRs and NVRs with documentation here.  I don't have anything on Blue Iris but since that would be a local connection, shouldn't be problematic.

I use BlueIris and have blocked the camera from reaching the internet.  This means the OEM camera app won't connect properly, but I don't use it anyway.  At least not after setting the camera up and getting the settings (like outside chime turned off) the way I wanted them.

I have BI text me a screenshot anytime it detects movement and I can always use my VPN connection to view the camera using the BI viewer.  This means I don't have two way communication, but I wouldn't want to use that anyway.  Nothing screams "I'm not home" more than using the app to talk to someone IMHO.  

sic0048 said:
I use BlueIris and have blocked the camera from reaching the internet.  This means the OEM camera app won't connect properly, but I don't use it anyway.  At least not after setting the camera up and getting the settings (like outside chime turned off) the way I wanted them.

I have BI text me a screenshot anytime it detects movement and I can always use my VPN connection to view the camera using the BI viewer.  This means I don't have two way communication, but I wouldn't want to use that anyway.  Nothing screams "I'm not home" more than using the app to talk to someone IMHO.  
I am accessing the doorbell with Blue Iris but I'm not getting any notifications from it on motion detection. It records a short clip but no notification yet. I'll have to look into setting that up. Can you tell me which menu screen allows sending screen-shots?

I personally would like to get the two-way audio working, what version of BI are you using? I have 4.something and I'm hoping that upgrading to ver 5.x will maybe fix the problem. I'm thinking that it may include a driver for the doorbell.

How did you mute the sounds at the doorbell when it detects motion? The only way that I have found to silence it so far is to disable motion detection altogether through the HIK-connect app or batch configuration program. My end goal is to use BI and lose the Hik app altogether as you have done.

Mike.

Here have disabled the newer phone apps and only utilize VPN. 

I am using a Hikvision non cloud App on the cell phone via VPN and it shows live views and SD recordings just fine.

Personally do not want to answer the door via cell phone.  That is me.

Using the Hikvision Batch configure Windows App / Onvif app here changed the admin password and added a user and user password.  

I have left in place the combo ELK 930 / 960 doorbell circuits which go to the alarm panel such that I get an email / text when someone rings the doorbell.

Relating to built in motion detection here utilize a ONVIF to MQTT plugin which triggers same as a doorbell ring.

Using RTSP, ONVIF and JPG capture for video out to NVR (Zoneminder), Homeseer, Omnitouch screens and Alexa show devices (via Monocle).

Only connect to home from WAN via VPN on cell phone, tablets or laptops.  VPN is IPSec; works great.

I'm working on getting Blue Iris to completely replace the HIK-connect app and it is going pretty well after upgrading BI to V5. 

I can view the camera and get motion notifications from Blue Iris but I have not gotten BI to do 2-way audio yet and BI does not send a notification to my IOS device when the doorbell button is pushed. If I am at home I will hear the mechanical doorbell on the wall and can look at BI but I will not know if the button is pushed when I am away from home. I don't care too much about the 2-way audio but it would be nice to know if the doorbell button is pushed when I am away from home.

I may need to keep the HIK-connect app for that.

Mike.

I do like having the full functionality of the app.  However, you can use the chime setting on the doorbell and the power module that comes with it to activate a relay which is what I did to incorporate the chime module on my old nutone intercom.  I would use that to activate a zone on my Elk M1G or use another method to send a notification that the doorbell had been pushed.  Here's picture--an Elk 924 relay, AC/DC converter and the power module

doorbell.jpg

I don't care too much about the 2-way audio but it would be nice to know if the doorbell button is pushed when I am away from home.

Only the phone app will notify you if the doorbell rings unless...

here using my legacy Elk 930 (Doorbell board) and 960 (debounce board) boards for this; well it's a zone on the alarm panel when triggered sends me a text and email.

index.php

Or do as mentioned above by @keepersp

Or

Put a magnetic contact switch near your chime magnet and wire it to a zone on your Elk panel.

The ONVIF reads video and audio and PIR motion but does not do ring detection.

Back