Home Automation Companies Set to Duke it Out

I have just started with UPB, but so far I have not needed a phase coupler. And my signal tests have been reading VERY strong signals with NO noise.

At the last CES I visited HAI's booth and they had UPB products running through the hap-hazard AC power system of the Las Vegas Convention Center show floor room.

There were extension cords and temporary transformers and just about every noise and signal sucking device you could imagine plugged into that grid (TV's, computers, etc...) and their UPB products worked flawlessly.

That one demo is why I believe UPB will remain supreme above Z-Wave and Insteon in the near future (as long as they keep their costs competitive).

But BSR their cost isn't competitive with the 2 referenced technologies you listed.

I know, that's sort of the point I was trying to make. I was hoping that the other two technologies would keep UPB products in check!

rocco said:
Good question !

Are the installers buying the UPB phase couplers? Can you get away with not having one?
You can sometimes get away without but anything on the powerline be it UBP or X10 needs a coupler and not just a coupler a repeater-coupler. No professional company hoping to be around in a year would ever or should ever install a job that doesn't have one spec'd in. It's just a call-back sucide for any company to even consider it.

Back