Home Brew Temp Sensors (LM34)

pete

I mentioned these in a different thread, and was asked to go into futher detail, but was getting off topic there . . .

For HVAC in my house I use an ADI Leopard and Secu16(I)s . . . the Leo is programmed to do the logic and for temp aquistion I use the Secu16(I)s along with these Decora Temp Sensors throughout the house (better price at worthington DTP-34) . . . they're basically a dressed up Dallas Semi LM34 temp sensor . . .

although I use the ADI stuff this is applicable to many A/D boards . . .

I was not quite happy with the stock ~2 deg F resolution of the LM34 A/D board combination and found this hometoys article explaining how to make an opAmp to increase resolution to ~ 1 deg F

after quite a few go arounds on the ADI board (here and here) I came up with this opAmp based on the LM324 because it uses the 12v supply as the LM34 . . .

DTSOpAmp.jpg

mounted to the DTP-34

DTSOpAmpInst.jpg

I'm definetly no EE/electronics tech, but found this project do-able with avg skills . . .

. . . one caveat w/ the LM324 rather than the LM10 (which would have needed a different power supply or a voltage regulator) used in the article is that outputs greater than 5v are possible, but not at 'normal' indoor temperatures . . .

Pete C

Back