Home intranet webpage?

EST

At one time I saw a video on Cybermanor.com where they used a intranet web page to contain all the family information...addresses, calendar, recipes, bookmarks, plus other useful possibilities. This can be accessed from the internet where changes are seen in real time. Does anyone use such a webpage or know of one? I want to use one and eventually incorporate it into HA. I don't think any of the HA software out there has this capability.

Thanks
Eric

CQC has webserver capabilties, although coding is more difficult than the point&click for the standard UI.

It also has ODBC capabilities, and indeed there is a reminderdb and other types of drivers already available that leverage that. No reason you couldn't use it to do what you're discussing here.

You might also try out "reactor server", it is a win32 exe that istalls apache with php and MySQL and a basic version of PHPNuke. From there you can add in a calender and many many other modifications from the massive PHPNuke community. You really don't need much knowledge to set it up and it's extremely customizable. However since the install is automati you may have troubles with the MySQL command line interface as phpmyadmin IIRC does not come included.

People give PHPNuke a bad security rating... The default install deserves it, however it can ge hardened pretty well. Since you want intranet you only need to secure it from local attacks which I assume would be quite rare.

Also, If you happen to be running MS Server 2003, then you can download and install a free version of Microsoft Sharepoint
here.

EDIT: Forgot about Plone. It's Python-based and runs on pretty much anything.

Terry

Most of the things you mentioned, aside from the home automation itself, don't really need to be hosted on your home network. I recently moved most of my hosting off my PC and onto a shared Linux server with 100GB of storage for $10/month. It comes with lots of software packages that can be automatically installed or you can upload scripts from places like hotscripts.com. I have a background process that runs on my home media center which automatically backs up all my photos from my local fileserver to my hosted web server. This gives me off-site redundancy/backup, plus makes it easy to share an online photo album (password protected) with my family. Plus I get unlimited POP/IMAP/web email addresses tied to my domain name.

Just something else to consider :)

acheslow said:
Most of the things you mentioned, aside from the home automation itself, don't really need to be hosted on your home network. I recently moved most of my hosting off my PC and onto a shared Linux server with 100GB of storage for $10/month. It comes with lots of software packages that can be automatically installed or you can upload scripts from places like hotscripts.com. I have a background process that runs on my home media center which automatically backs up all my photos from my local fileserver to my hosted web server. This gives me off-site redundancy/backup, plus makes it easy to share an online photo album (password protected) with my family. Plus I get unlimited POP/IMAP/web email addresses tied to my domain name.

Just something else to consider :)
Agreed, I do some of that too.

Godaddy is not a bad deal, free domain if you buy a year of hosting. Still cheapest domains around anyway.

I have noticed their shared servers are not exactly fast however not really slow either.

Back