Homebuilt anemometer

Reminds me of the late '70's when I designed a 3-cup digital anemometer. I had 3 ice cream scoops heliarc-welded to 3 AL spokes. The shaft entered a water-tight electrical box. The shaft inside had an acetate optical disk which was read by a U-shaped TI IR rcvr/xmtr IR sensor and fed to a Schmidt trigger. Pulses vs time were counted, averaged by 10 samples and the output drove 7-segment LED displays. The gov't said that it was the most accurate wind speed indicator they ever tested. It made its way into the commerical market along with a companion optically-encoded wind direction device which used a gray code disk.

If you go back that far, the product line was called MetData.
Thanks for bringing back the mems! :)

I do somewhat remember that project from the gov't Jay. As a matter of fact I still have one of the original MetaScoops that my son uses nightly for his evening snack. :)

I'm wondering if you can make this work via CMax code in the Ocelot?? For instance you would have to somehow "count" the number of digital input transitions (from an SECU16/I) over a period of time.

Possible using an imbedded timer(s) maybe??

The bus latency of an Ocelot and modules like the SECU16 don't allow it to count very fast. I would say that anything that exceeds more then one pulse every 1.5 to 2 seconds risks losing some events. This is especially true if you have several modules on your adnet bus, because each individual module is polled a bit less often per second. A device like a anemometer would likely put out many pulses per second (typically at least one per shaft revolution).

This would be a good microcontroller project however!

Back