Homelink in car... what can I do with it?

MrGibbage

I have the NX548E receiver and a car with a three button homelink transmitter. Is there anything that I can do with it, like arm/disarm my Elk, open/close the garage door which I have wired to the elk, or anything else?

I wonder about the functionality there as well. I have homelink in one car and it is set up to open the garage door. On that note - the garage door opener came with a lamp type module that can be controlled by the garage door openers.

That said, beyond above, I haven't found a use for any of it.

You can program your homelink in your car with a remote (say to the door opener). Can you program it to turn on and of lights controlled by a rf remote as well?

And I guess there's no way to make it talk to my NX548E??? Getting it to talk to the Elk one way or the other would be the way to go. Are there any other homelink receivers that I could connect to my elk or HA PC (I'm not using z-wave anywhere in my house)?

ITI Wireless (GE) had a model #6066595 (discontinued) that would talk with their old receivers but to my knowledge there has not been a replacement product. Maybe someone else knows of one.

i've only done it with z-wave. in my case i use wayne dalton's products to control lighting from intermatic, leviton, and homepro. can be in wall switches or plug ins. i hit 1 button to open a garage door, a 2nd button to turn on outside lighting, garage lighting, and kitchen lighting at once, and a 3rd button to turn off all of the lighting except the kitchen once i am in the house.

If they have a device that just opens or closes one of three relays depending on which button was pushed, I can easily tie that to my Elk inputs. Is there such an animal?

If they have a device that just opens or closes one of three relays depending on which button was pushed, I can easily tie that to my Elk inputs. Is there such an animal?

not sure. i know that the main button is hard coded for the garage door opener module which you hardwire to your existing garage door opener. then you have to also setup their z-wave gateway and program the other buttons on the keychain to link to their z-wave gateway. so you really have 3 main components. the physical garage door opener interface module, the z-wave gateway, and a keychain remote. you can program up to 6 scenes on the keychain i believe. the 3 mains buttons and then any combination of 2 buttons at 1 time. you have to plug in both the garage door opener module and the z-wave gateway so you need 2 outlets in the garage to make it work. also you can't control the door via an internet or cellular gateway. currently it is against the law to do so. they tend to bury this in the fine print so it is good to know ahead of time. for instance, you could not connect via an internet gateway and open the garage door. why might you want to do this? maybe your wife or kids got locked out of the house and opening the garage would let them in. you are on vacation and the neighbor needs to mow your lawn or feed your cat, etc. hopefully they will change this soon despite the security concerns.

Back