Homeseer and Elk

fleetz

I am struggling to work out exactly how Homseer interfaces with the M1G and what exactly Homeseer will allow you do with the M1G.

I suppose the confusion comes in with Homeseer having their own hardware HA system. I believe the M1G from a hardware perspective will let me do the things I require.

What I am wanting that M1G currently doesn't provide is an elegant control solution. Ideally what I would like is:

1. A touchscreen interface that can be customised that will enable control over the M1G however this interface should not be reliant on being on for the HA functions to operate. I may be away from this location a month or so at a time so I don't want to rely on a PC operating to facilitate the HA control. The interface should be flexible in allowing me to configure the GUI layout etc. (I am use to the Philips Pronto configuring). Using the new ELK touchscreen would be nice!

2. Would also like to have a flexible Windows Media Centre interface. I see that Homeseer has a WMC plugin.

Can Homeseer sit as a control surface that is not reliant on be on and running 24/7?

Can anyone demistify how Homeseer would interface to the M1G?

Thanks,

Fleetz

I typed out a long winded response, but hit a wrong button and the typing got eaten.

so, shorter version:

HA software supplements the ELK (or other) security panel controller.
Best strategy is to put critical functions on the controlller, and whatever won't run on the controller, run within the HA software.
Critical usually defined as security related.
Homeseer can add a lot to what the ELK already does. You have to think about what you are trying to achieve and what the ELK is capable of.
If you are thinking about a touchscreen UI, then, as Brian mentions (thanx Brian!), look at MainLobby and the ELK plugin that is available from Cinemar to integrate the MainLobby HA software and the ELK. ML also integrates tightly with Homeseer.
Best setup is ELK <> Homeseer <> MainLobby from a complete home "domination" perspective :)
Most reliable would be just the ELK.
Best blend would be ELK and MainLobby.
if you are also interested in bringining media control to your touchscreens, then MainLobby excels there. ie: distributed video and music controlled from the same integrated touchscreen.

DavidL said:
I typed out a long winded response, but hit a wrong button and the typing got eaten.

so, shorter version:

HA software supplements the ELK (or other) security panel controller.
Best strategy is to put critical functions on the controlller, and whatever won't run on the controller, run within the HA software.
Critical usually defined as security related.
Homeseer can add a lot to what the ELK already does. You have to think about what you are trying to achieve and what the ELK is capable of.
If you are thinking about a touchscreen UI, then, as Brian mentions (thanx Brian!), look at MainLobby and the ELK plugin that is available from Cinemar to integrate the MainLobby HA software and the ELK. ML also integrates tightly with Homeseer.
Best setup is ELK <> Homeseer <> MainLobby from a complete home "domination" perspective :)
Most reliable would be just the ELK.
Best blend would be ELK and MainLobby.
if you are also interested in bringining media control to your touchscreens, then MainLobby excels there. ie: distributed video and music controlled from the same integrated touchscreen.
Thanks David,

Firstly to Steve yes I was and it is not off the list yet. I suppose now I have a better idea as to what I am wanting from a control perpective and doing a last sanity check.

David thanks for the reply and sorry I didn't get to see the longer version....I know how frustrating that ooppps where did all the typing go! You shorten reply was great.

I believe for the most part I will want ELK to take control as it has to be more reliable that having something sit on top and control it. I also do not want to rely on a PC for HA control as I will be away for weeks and possibly months at a time so ELK will need to do the job by itself.

When I am home it would be nice to have control over lights, (I will be using C-Bus), front gates, AC, ceiling fans and indeed home theatre. It sounds like MainLobby might be a solution that I can turn on while I am there and off when I am not and achieve what I am after.

I am in Australia and the ELK is in fact a Ness M1G they have slightly different firmware and I wonder if the MainLobby with the ML plugin is compatible, I suspect they are but I will need to find this out from Cinemar.

From the Home Theatre I will be integrating IR into the ELK via an Ocelot and into the AV gear via some Buffalo IR gear. When you have ML as a UI can you integrate these devices in and control the ELK and AV gear??

I already have a Fujitsu 3400 which I could run ML on do you know if ML would run on the new ELK LCD touchscreen too? Is it possible to have two ML clients or is it a one on one?

Thanks agian for your reply.

Cheers,

Fleetz

If you are using C-Bus, then you need a system that supports C-Bus and the Elk. CQC does support them both. If it doesn't also support C-Bus, then half of your automation solution will not be accessible to it.

Dean Roddey said:
If you are using C-Bus, then you need a system that supports C-Bus and the Elk. CQC does support them both. If it doesn't also support C-Bus, then half of your automation solution will not be accessible to it.
Hi Dean,

The Ness/ELK unit in Australia has a C-Bus interface.

Regards,

Fleetz

How complete an interface would it be, having to go through the Elk? It would seem that that would necessarily limit the C-Bus functionality can control relative to talking directly to it ?

Hi Guys

I think the Ness M1 CBUS Interface is currently only 1 way .....AFAIK you can send CBUS commands from the Ness M1 but it doesnt recieve CBUS Commands and keep track of CBUS loads.....

Frank

FrankMc said:
Hi Guys

I think the Ness M1 CBUS Interface is currently only 1 way .....AFAIK you can send CBUS commands from the Ness M1 but it doesnt recieve CBUS Commands and keep track of CBUS loads.....

Frank
The sync issue is currently being worked on by Ness. I am confident they will have this resolved soon.

Fleetz

Back