House cooling w/o AC

Micah

I’m trying to find a way that allows me to use the outside air to cool my house that doesn’t require me to do anything (open windows, turn on fans, etc.).

What I’m finding is that to keep the inside at a reasonable temperature I have to run the AC even though it’s cooler outside than inside. What I’d like to do is setup my HA system to use a temp sensor outside in conjunction with the thermostat (or temp sensor inside) to determine if the AC needs to actually be run or if only a fan that draws in outside air needs to be turned on.

The only solution I’ve found are whole house fans but to use them properly you need to open all the windows inside the house to draw air in. I’d like this to be a completely automated process that doesn’t require any intervention on my part so this system wouldn’t work.

Does anyone know of a way that uses existing duct work to draw-in and distribute outside air throughout a house that could be automated in this fashion?

Micah said:
The only solution I’ve found are whole house fans but to use them properly you need to open all the windows inside the house to draw air in. I’d like this to be a completely automated process that doesn’t require any intervention on my part so this system wouldn’t work.
Actually it could be done using whole house fans if you can automate opening/closing your windows. The market is kind of limited but I've found that Wintrol makes a motor kit that'll fit some casement windows. They even mention automating their motors with X-10. ;)

The Pod

what you need is called an economizer . . . not sure if your unit can do it without major modifications to your ductwork. . . do you have a 'package' unit or a split condenser / air handler ? access to the ductwork ?

basically is dumps the warm return air to the outside and brings in fresh cool air via a few motorized dampers . . .

Pete C

Slightly on-topic:

My house has an air to water heat exchanger--when the temp in the attic hits a certain temp, it pulls the air out of the attic, passes it through the heat exchanger and blows it outside. The water pumps to a holding tank that feeds the hot water heater.

I'm using the system to blow out the hot air but not currently using the heat exchanger, though, as I think it probably uses more energy that it will save.

jeffx said:
as I think it probably uses more energy that it will save.
not to hijack the thread . . . but running a pump to move water is usually way more economical than running an electric heating element or burner to heat the water . . . this is the basis of geothermal systems . . .

pete said:
jeffx said:
as I think it probably uses more energy that it will save.
not to hijack the thread . . . but running a pump to move water is usually way more economical than running an electric heating element or burner to heat the water . . . this is the basis of geothermal systems . . .
I have a gas water heater.

Mechanical ventialtion that is NOT an ERV would probably work. The basis of an ERV is to recapture the thermal energy as it exchanges air, which would defeat your purpose.

I'm buying automated ceiling registers from this guy:

http://www.automatedceilingregisters.com/

They have a product that might meet your needs as well. It exchanges air but is not an ERV. I'm going with ERV in my house so I'm not using this product but you might look into it.

Call Lynn Heitman at (972) 509-2400.

Also, I thik Martin is a distributor for these so he may be able to get you a better price. But Lynn can tell you all about the product, send you literature, etc.

JeffX,

Do you have a brand for your heat exchanger or is it a custom setup? I am building a house now and have been looking for some energy saving ideas.

Thanks,
warren

Back