How do you distribute a HTPC around the house?

tshephard

Right now I have a channel plus four channel distribution system. It puts video from two satellite receivers, a DVD player, and a analog front door camera on my house cable system.

I want to cancel the satellite service and start using Hulu and Netflix services. I was considering a Mac Mini for a HTPC running software like Plex. Also adding an EyeTV for OTA recording.

The only problem I see with this scenario is how to distribute those services to the four TV's in my home. Would I need a mac for each TV? Is there a way to run multiple instances of HT software on one mac? Guess you would need multiple hdmi outputs at that point.

Any ideas?

Why don't you go the SageTv route? You'd have a central media server with built in support for use as a pvr, you can very easily integrate PlayOn which will allow you to run Hulu and Netflix content, and you can add multiple HD extenders to each tv location that can all pull content from the main server. Win, win, and win.

Why don't you go the SageTv route? You'd have a central media server with built in support for use as a pvr, you can very easily integrate PlayOn which will allow you to run Hulu and Netflix content, and you can add multiple HD extenders to each tv location that can all pull content from the main server. Win, win, and win.

Sounds good. Tell me more! lol.

I'll start googling, but does SageTv run on a mac?

I also see there is some kind of plugin for Homeseer, what does it do?

Anyway, thanks for the point in the right direction.

-Tim

Right now I have a channel plus four channel distribution system. It puts video from two satellite receivers, a DVD player, and a analog front door camera on my house cable system.

I want to cancel the satellite service and start using Hulu and Netflix services. I was considering a Mac Mini for a HTPC running software like Plex. Also adding an EyeTV for OTA recording.

The only problem I see with this scenario is how to distribute those services to the four TV's in my home. Would I need a mac for each TV? Is there a way to run multiple instances of HT software on one mac? Guess you would need multiple hdmi outputs at that point.

Any ideas?

I think there is no better solution than Windows 7 Media Center with a Ceton Quad TV Tuner Card with XBOX 360s acting as extenders at each TV location. Allows you to view live/record up to 4 HDTV channels, serve Hulu, Netflix, and whatever you've got on your computer to those locations as well.

I use Sage TV and love it! I have 1 central Sage TV server, and 5 HD extenders. The extenders are at each TV, and are about the size of a hardback book. Anyone can turn on any tv, and watch what they like, independent of the other TVs. I have all of my movies ripped to the Sage server, and use that for watching them. I also use the PlayOn plugin for Netflix and Hulu support.

They have a new version in beta right now, that really improves the UI and plugin capability.

I would highly recommend giving Sage TV a look.

another happy sagetv user here. one advantage of using a sagetv hd200 extender is it only consumes 5-8 watts of power ( http://bit.ly/ck1NeU ) an xbox 360 may use 125-150W ( http://bit.ly/cLuGyE )

I think it's a little unfair to compare the Sage hardware to the 3-year-old far more energy hungry Xbox 360s instead of what is on the shelf today. By no means saying that it is nearly as efficient as the hd200, but there is a significant difference in the capabilities of each system.

I looked into Sage a little more and while it looks nice, it seems there Mac offerings are quite behind. There isn't even a beta for version 7.

I did purchase a HDHomerunner dual tuner to play with. Should be here any day. Its compatible with Sage.

Sage is so easy even a caveman can do it. :D I just need to upgrade to the latest version but I haven't messed with my Sage server in over 2 years. I've forgotten how I set it up.

So how does SageTV handle encrypted cable channels? I'm in the Atlanta area and Comcast is encrypting most channels. With Media Center and a Ceton card I could get 4 tuners, all decrypted, feeding into the Media Center PC. Since I'm looking for at least 4 tuners, how would SageTV do that?

So how does SageTV handle encrypted cable channels? I'm in the Atlanta area and Comcast is encrypting most channels. With Media Center and a Ceton card I could get 4 tuners, all decrypted, feeding into the Media Center PC. Since I'm looking for at least 4 tuners, how would SageTV do that?

you could use 1 dual tuner hdhomerun for the unencrypted channels and 2 hd pvrs connected to cable boxes.

another happy sagetv user here. one advantage of using a sagetv hd200 extender is it only consumes 5-8 watts of power ( http://bit.ly/ck1NeU ) an xbox 360 may use 125-150W ( http://bit.ly/cLuGyE )

I think it's a little unfair to compare the Sage hardware to the 3-year-old far more energy hungry Xbox 360s instead of what is on the shelf today. By no means saying that it is nearly as efficient as the hd200, but there is a significant difference in the capabilities of each system.

out of curiosity, what are the significant differences between using an xbox 360 as an extender vs an hd200? other than a built in dvd drive and the ability to play games

Sage support confirmed there is no eta for when or even if they will release version 7 for Mac. Furthermore there is no method for using plugins. Which means no hulu or netflix.

Looks like it's back to plex. The new version went server based so it's a matter of time for some kind of extender.

Sage support confirmed there is no eta for when or even if they will release version 7 for Mac. Furthermore there is no method for using plugins. Which means no hulu or netflix.

Looks like it's back to plex. The new version went server based so it's a matter of time for some kind of extender.

First post on cocoontech!

I realize this is an old post but I can attest to Plex and it's amazing functionality. With Plex Media Server you can have one library and multiple extenders. LG TVs/boxes, Apple TV 2, iOS, Android, Roku... There is also a web interface to manage all of your media that works great. There are many great skins to customize the look to your liking - I have been VERY pleased with it.

Great way to distribute everything throughout the house. They also have a great community over at forums.plexapp.com that is very helpful and constantly releasing new plugins (a few automation related).

Back