How does Elk calculate X-10 module address?

miamicanes

(mods: feel free to delete this, or at least change the topic to "Phone menu flakiness")

This post was originally about how X10 modules are assigned light IDs by the voice menu (it appears that G1 = 97, G2=98, and so on). However, I have a new problem... the M1G's phone module seems to be SERIOUSLY flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Right now, the only way I can get it to seize the line and go to menu mode is by unplugging the answering machine and letting the phone ring until it decides to pick up. Earlier, it was allowing me to enter the Elk code during the answering machine message... but it seems to have gotten flakier and flakier every time I repeated the experiment (sometimes it took 2 or 3 tries, then 4, then more and more). It also seems to take longer and longer to time out and release the line if I accidentally hang up without hitting '9' first. Is this the norm, or am I doing something wrong?

What value(s) do you have programmed in globals?

Are you trying to use a cell with short tones? Non-POTS line?

Real landline, Android phone with short tones (sigh, would it kill Android/IOS/WinPho to do software DTMF instead of playing wav files? I think the Linux kernel even has built-in support for legacy-Adlib FM sound generation...)

If you have the globals set properly and ring/hang/ring set, then on a landline at the house, it should work properly.

The Androids have an option to change tone length, that solves a lot of problems with cell access to DTMF based equipment.

Is the phone issue onsite or only remote phone access?

Back