How to best use Glass Break Sensors

IVB

I'm wondering how to best use these Glass Break sensors I bought. I've put motion sensors in every single room, so i'm beginning to wonder if adding glass break sensors is really worth it or not.

The only thought I had was that I could set them up as non-alarm zones, and sound an audible alarm/voice if they go off to scare the bad guy away.

Any thoughts, or should I just sell them off?

Hi IVB;

I like glass breaks because they can sound an alarm before anyone enters your home! With a motion sensor, someone must already be inside your home. I think of glass breaks as the first line of defense and motion sensors the second. Of course they are worthless if someone gets inside without breaking any glass (thus the motion sensor as the second line).

Also, knowing the neighborhood you live in :lol: , what would happen if someone just threw a rock and broke your glass window, never intending to go into it? You would never get a notification with just the motion sensor.

I set mine up to alarm when armed in home or away mode.

Are they acoustic or shock sensors?

If shock you can probably wire them up for 24 hour.

EDIT: Thats the ONLY way I can think of to make the ADT commercials accurate. You see the guy break in and the alarm go off... Yet the family is home???[/edit]

If acoustic it depends, some are good some are bad. None can really be used 24 hour though, basically only in away mode.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Also, knowing the neighborhood you live in :lol: , what would happen if someone just threw a rock and broke your glass window, never intending to go into it? You would never get a notification with just the motion sensor.
Well, I was trying to think about what I'd want in that instance. If they didn't intend to go inside, do I want NextAlarm calling me or not? That's a serious question, i'm not sure what i'd want.

Are they acoustic or shock sensors?

I think these are what they are. I didn't get them from there, but that looks about right. Looks like acoustic to me. I was thinking I could use those in ArmedStay and ArmedAway mode. Don't really need it any other time, do I?

IVB: Those are the same ones I was looking to use. I tried inquiring to the company that makes them if there are any issues in mounting them at outlet height (as they are outlet shaped and people 'ignore' outlets) but I never got a response. They seem to be designed to mount higher.

IVB said:
I think these are what they are. I didn't get them from there, but that looks about right. Looks like acoustic to me. I was thinking I could use those in ArmedStay and ArmedAway mode. Don't really need it any other time, do I?
I edited while I think you were replying. :lol:

You may have issues with it in "ArmedStay", you might run some tests on it.

The unit linked claims it to have some advanced circuitry to enable it to tell framed glass breaking from unframed glass breaking. If it really is that accurate I would keep em.

Just wire it up in the wiring closet and dump a handful of silverware in a ceramic bowl/dish. If it trips you should question having it report in "ArmedStay". I guess you can configure an Elk (and that thats what you have) to not report but locally alarm? If so you might do that as anyone outside won't know until no cops.

Use your own judgement, if it totally blows sell em, if marginal you might keep them and just in ArmedAway.

I believe all points above are valid but you also need to consider if you have pets. As previously mentioned I like these for the fact of stopping them outside the house versus already being in the house. Wire them in and set the alarm. If you can trip the alarm simply by shaking your keys around I would not use them. If you have the type that require a shock sent throughout the wall and the high pitch noise at the same time they are great! Still keep in mind the pet comment though as I have seen these tripped also by the better glass breaks mentioned second.

I strongly believe is glass break sensors (of course I have big windows and can picture someone breaking a window to get in).

Why you ask? Because my motion sensors are not active when we are home. If we're in bed and someone tries to break in through a back window - I want the alarm to go off. If I relied only on motion sensors... I'd never know they were in the house.

As for false alarms - I've found 2 instances...
1) Extremely loud noises (door slamming) can trip them. I've had 2 false alarms from this in 3 years. And we were home (obviously to cause the noise) so it was no big deal.

2) Theater. In one of the first movies I watched after installing it, we tripped it. I now automatically bypass the glassbreak sensor when the house is in theater mode. As soon as we go into another mode (normal, goodnight, etc), it reenables the glass break.

These are the sensors I use.

Interesting info - I was told by my alarm installer when I installed my system a few years ago that glass sensors were prone to false alarms due to high pitched sounds. So I went with motion sensors instead.

If someone is brazen enough to break glass despite seeing my alarm sign, what's to prevent them to enter anyway? I figure my motion will work just as well once they stick their head into the window.

I also have a concept of a "safe room" in my house. My master closet has a solid wooden door with deadbolts. The room is accessible only through another couple of rooms that have motion sensors installed.

If a crook was desperate enough to enter the house, my family can enter the "safe room" and lock out the crook while they contact for help or the alarm is dispatching the police. The "safe room" is always locked when we're not home, so I can put a safe in there that would take a normal crook far too long to break in there.

I also have a neighbor who is a former police chief who is alerted by my alarm, so a crook who is brazen enough to break the glass and enter the home will have a lot to contend with.

Back