How to ensure power supply is sufficient?

Cort , thats an interesting piece. I have often wondered how I could upgrade ANY system with more power. So, how does that work? I only see one output on that board. Do you take that to an expander board? I dont have an elk but surely I can do something similiar with an On-Q/HAI control panel?

Thanks

Making the power and backing it up is the costly part, but distributing the power is the inexpensive part. Just take the output from the power supply board to a power distribution module. Elk makes a really great one that has 9 PTC protected outputs each of which is limited to either 250 mA or 400 mA: Elk-PD9. In my case, I will only need 4 outputs, and I want one of the outputs to have a full 1 A ouput, so I will likely use something like this where I can specify my own fuse sizes. Altronix has a similiar module: PD4, but their power distribution modules all take up a little too much relestate.

Here is what will comprise my auxillary power supply:
Altronix AL300ULB 2.5A supervised power supply board
Altronix 28VAC 100VA open frame transformer
Power Sonic 12180 12V 18A battery. Could have used an Elk battery, but this was more readily available to me.
As yet unspecified power distribution model.
As yet unspecified sub enclosure for open frame transformer.

Cort , thats an interesting piece. I have often wondered how I could upgrade ANY system with more power. So, how does that work? I only see one output on that board. Do you take that to an expander board? I dont have an elk but surely I can do something similiar with an On-Q/HAI control panel?

Thanks

Making the power and backing it up is the costly part, but distributing the power is the inexpensive part. Just take the output from the power supply board to a power distribution module. Elk makes a really great one that has 9 PTC protected outputs each of which is limited to either 250 mA or 400 mA: Elk-PD9. In my case, I will only need 4 outputs, and I want one of the outputs to have a full 1 A ouput, so I will likely use something like this where I can specify my own fuse sizes. Altronix has a similiar module: PD4, but their power distribution modules all take up a little too much relestate.

Here is what will comprise my auxillary power supply:
Altronix AL300ULB 2.5A supervised power supply board
Altronix 28VAC 100VA open frame transformer
Power Sonic 12180 12V 18A battery. Could have used an Elk battery, but this was more readily available to me.
As yet unspecified power distribution model.
As yet unspecified sub enclosure for open frame transformer.

Altronix also makes a PD8 which I think is the same size as the PD4 if you are concerned about real estate.

I use them in my setup.

Elk makes a really great one that has 9 PTC protected outputs each of which is limited to either 250 mA or 400 mA: Elk-PD9. In my case, I will only need 4 outputs, and I want one of the outputs to have a full 1 A ouput, so I will likely use something like this where I can specify my own fuse sizes. Altronix has a similiar module: PD4, but their power distribution modules all take up a little too much relestate.
You can use the Elk PD9 to provide a 1 amp output by combining 4 of the 250mA outputs (or 3 of the 400ma). Just use a jumper wire across the outputs to parallel them.

Alrtonix items are sometimes found on eBay for good prices.

Hi, For what it worth, Altronix is the way to go. You will not run out of power with an AL400 or an AL600. I have three for my system. Check Ebay. I am a Pro installer, Trust me, They are worth it. Once again, check Ebay. I may be listing a few soon.

Mike

Along the original line of this thread, would an output from the P412K through a PD9HC be suitable for powering the ELK-XEP? This would give battery backup for the ethernet hub. The ELK-XEP comes with a wallwart transformer and a barrel connector to the XEP. Can I just take the barrel connector and a section of its cable and attach it to the PD9HC? (or parallel sufficient outputs to provide rated current-- I haven't checked total expected load of XEP yet)

Along the original line of this thread, would an output from the P412K through a PD9HC be suitable for powering the ELK-XEP? This would give battery backup for the ethernet hub. The ELK-XEP comes with a wallwart transformer and a barrel connector to the XEP. Can I just take the barrel connector and a section of its cable and attach it to the PD9HC? (or parallel sufficient outputs to provide rated current-- I haven't checked total expected load of XEP yet)

I hope so since this is what I am planning to do. Don't forget the P412K already has power distribution with 3 sets of terminals delivering 2 amps each. I have one P412K that powers an RCS hub (which in turn powers a bunch of thermostats) from one output, the second output powers some expander boards for my Stargate, and the third output feeds a PD9HC to distribute power for motion detectors and some relays.

My second P412K will power an 8-port Linksys switch, the XEP, and provide additional smoke detector power.

I will also have a P412K at a junction point at the other end of the basement to power my IP cameras, another Linksys switch, and another RCS Hub.

A fourth P412K in the attic will power another Linksys switch, another RCS Hub, an Elk Zone Input board, and the upstairs smoke detectors and fire bells.

When using multiple supplies be sure to tie the negative 12V together as a common reference.

Interestingly, I happen to have an Altronix power supply that was mounted to our wall, and never used.

I have posted it under the for sale section.

As with any power supply, you want to be sure that you are not overloading it. The Elk-412P has a total of 4 amps output, so the likelihood of an overcurrent situation is low. Just sum the current demands of all the devices that you plan on connecting to the 412. As long as you are under 4000mA, you should be good.

The M1XEP has a current draw of 300mA, and the Elk-PD9HC allows up to 400 mA of current draw from each tap. You should be fine connecting the M1XEP to one of the taps if you indeed are using the HC model. Make sure you get the polarity correct.

Good luck.

Looking at your output demands, you should add an additional power supply. Do not pull too much current from output 1 or 2, else you may shut down the sirens early should the PTC overcurrent circuit breaker on the outputs kick in. You may want to break the DC current for some of the self contained sirens through a relay powered from a separate power supply.

Back