[How-To] Monitor a device using a status light

A picture for those who are curious. The mod doesn't look bad at all, especially when you consider this is in a closet and is never actually looked at. This is with zero effort to clean it up.

SageMod.jpg

I'm not done, of course. All I can do now is tell whether it's the extender is on or not. The next step is to use an IR blaster to send the power-toggle if it's off, and the user presses the Sage button on my MX850. I've got a GlobalCache GC-100-12 that I was going to sell off, but I could use that. Seems like a waste as I only need the 1 IR command, esp since I have to buy the damn IR Learner to get that one freakin command.

But, at least it will be possible to automate yet one more thing, and remove one more point of manual entry so the family can watch TV. And most importantly, the 6 year old won't wake me up on Sat mornings because she can't get the TV to work.

Well, *that* euphoria was short-lived.

I just found discrete on/off codes for the Sage HDExtender. I didn't think they existed, thought it was just a toggle. So now, all I have to do is always send a power-Extender-on command along with the Input-sage switching command and it works fine. No status lights or funky monitoring needed.

Well, at least I learned about Photoresistors and got to drill holes in perfectly functioning equipment today...

I have a water softener that has a blinking light when it is low. Does any one have and ideas of how to monitor this using this technique? I like the idea of the hawkeye motion sensor or DS10a also.

You would need to run the photocell from a battery, not sure how much it would drain the battery. If you don't mind hard wiring it, then there isn't a anything to it, just have your I/O controller trigger an event when it first sees it blinking (you don't have to capture every blink event, just one of them).

I am getting 7.5 and 9.2. I am trying to connect it to M1xin but since I need analog, I might have to move it to the main board. I will give it a try. Thanks

I would like to get this working with my Elk. How did you end up connecting it? If this works, I have several items that I would like to monitor (Washer, Dryer, Water Softener).

Thanks,

I'll have to give that a try. Though I would think a direct wire would be more reliable. I had kept away from the DS10a's beacuse I wasnt ready to spend the money on the RFXCOM or W800. I think I may have a MR26a lying around somewhere. And the items I want to monitor are close to the equipment closet. That may work...

Thanks

Back