[How-To] Monitor your car's status

The next step I'm going to take this is to have HS send me a text message and email to let me know when both cars have been out of the garage for over 10 minutes and the door is still open. I'll then be able to trigger an event via text message or email (I can send email from my phone via a text message) that will close the door and email me again to confirm it's happened. I can handle that part, it's just the CAC that confuses me. Maybe a separate tutorial should be written just on DM CAC?

I'm using one of those nice Garage door contact sensors (In conjunction with my SECU16/Ocelot) that I ordered from Martin to handle detecting the garage doors status.

By code, you shouldn't be able to close the door without having line of sight to it. (A camera is of course acceptable). That said, if you're going to do so, then you should consider an announcement when closing the door(s) to warn anyone in the way... just in case.

-jbn

By code, you shouldn't be able to close the door without having line of sight to it. (A camera is of course acceptable). That said, if you're going to do so, then you should consider an announcement when closing the door(s) to warn anyone in the way... just in case.

I am glad to know this, because reading about "automatic garage-door closing rules" on this board has always made me nervous. It raises the thought of unknowingly crushing something, bending automobile sheet metal, or even causing personal injury. Years ago I developed the habit of personally checking the door opening before pushing the button (I think my father insisted on this, maybe from some early time before obstruction detectors and auto reversers).

The wife shares my caution and concern. She inadvertently closed a garage door onto an open SUV hatch from down the driveway, arriving home and pushing the radio button to open the door when it was already open. Lesson there is exactly the same -- have a view of the door before you actuate it. So we live with the slight inconvenience of crossing the house in the rare instance of the door being left open.

Although I have a "just in case" rule in the M1 to close the garage door (and the M1, of course, knows the door position), this rule is never actuated automatically and is rather difficult to get to, as a safety measure.

Back