How to plan ahead regarding Elk speaker announcements?

riverhawk

I plan on adding a software layer(Homeseer?) on top of my recently purchased Elk. I believe Homeseer can make announcements through Sonos now. Anyway to incorporate Elk announcements either directly to multiple Sonos zones OR to Homeseer->Sonos?

I'm thinking Elk announcements might be too critical to add on these variables if it's not easily accomplished. Should I just install some flush mounted Elk speakers and forget it?

Bonus Elk speaker question:

After looking at products for answers while writing this thread, anyone use this item:

http://www.smarthome.com/51390/Elk-Two-Way-Listen-In-Amplifier-Board-ELK-M1TWA/p.aspx

and/or with this:

http://www.smarthome.com/12836S/Elk-ELK-M1TWSF-Flush-Mount-Speaker-Microphone/p.aspx

What's the purpose? Can it be used as an intercom? Why have a microphone?

The Elk TWA is a Two-Way listen-in interface.  It can be used by Central Stations (if so subscribed) to listen into the premises (think Medical Alarm - they can try to talk to the person who triggered it - say, elderly person wearing a pendant; or after a burglar trigger, they can listen for the sounds of rustling through the house) or it can be used with the M1's call-in feature so a homeowner can check in on their property and talk to someone in the house or listen to what's going on.  The person listening in can listen to a summed version of all 3 mics at once, including boosting the volume as needed, or they can selectively choose a particular channel to hear better (if memory serves me right - please confirm in the manual).

In addition, that TWA allows for some segmenting of the Output 1 - meaning now you have 3 different channels that you can adjust volume for independently, as well as selectively mute each of those channels independently.  I need to install one - since I prefer to turn off the announcements in the kids' wing of the house when they're sleeping/napping but otherwise want them to hear fire alarms or anything else relevant; similarly I may wish to leave sounds off in the master while my wife sleeps (night worker) but still have the rest on in case she's up and about or so I can hear.

Regarding the Elk/Homeseer/Sonos announcements - I'd do a hybrid (and I'm planning to with the HSSpeak) - all system critical functions belong with the Elk - any messages that you just can't/shouldn't miss; then the "nice to have" announcements about general goings-on can be on HS.

The little speakers - especially the SP12's - are easy to mount just about anywhere; they can be pried off their faceplates and installed behind the KP2 keypads (I have 3 that way so automatically have good coverage in the Master, near the Garage, and in the front room by the front door) without anything visible - then a few more hidden in other parts of the house that would never otherwise hear what's going on.  The one you linked is the same SP12 but with a microphone too - I've wondered if that could be tied into a keypad housing mount too.

I put a two way listen in into my new Elk install. I was thinking about a home for the ages - "help, i've fallen and I can't....". In the mean time, I can dial in and have a dialog with my dog while we're out. Or listen in when I get a text alert.

I put a speaker/mic in the kitchen area and the mbr. Here's what I got, although I got all my Elk stuff through Automated Outlet.

http://www.smarthome.com/1283TWI/M1-2-Way-Listen-In-Interface-M1TWI/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/1283TWS/M1-Speaker-Microphone-M1TWS/p.aspx

Work2Play said:
The Elk TWA is a Two-Way listen-in interface.  It can be used by Central Stations (if so subscribed) to listen into the premises (think Medical Alarm - they can try to talk to the person who triggered it - say, elderly person wearing a pendant; or after a burglar trigger, they can listen for the sounds of rustling through the house) or it can be used with the M1's call-in feature so a homeowner can check in on their property and talk to someone in the house or listen to what's going on.  The person listening in can listen to a summed version of all 3 mics at once, including boosting the volume as needed, or they can selectively choose a particular channel to hear better (if memory serves me right - please confirm in the manual).

In addition, that TWA allows for some segmenting of the Output 1 - meaning now you have 3 different channels that you can adjust volume for independently, as well as selectively mute each of those channels independently.  I need to install one - since I prefer to turn off the announcements in the kids' wing of the house when they're sleeping/napping but otherwise want them to hear fire alarms or anything else relevant; similarly I may wish to leave sounds off in the master while my wife sleeps (night worker) but still have the rest on in case she's up and about or so I can hear.

Regarding the Elk/Homeseer/Sonos announcements - I'd do a hybrid (and I'm planning to with the HSSpeak) - all system critical functions belong with the Elk - any messages that you just can't/shouldn't miss; then the "nice to have" announcements about general goings-on can be on HS.

The little speakers - especially the SP12's - are easy to mount just about anywhere; they can be pried off their faceplates and installed behind the KP2 keypads (I have 3 that way so automatically have good coverage in the Master, near the Garage, and in the front room by the front door) without anything visible - then a few more hidden in other parts of the house that would never otherwise hear what's going on.  The one you linked is the same SP12 but with a microphone too - I've wondered if that could be tied into a keypad housing mount too.

I understand now. I didn't order the TWA module and just ordered a couple more speakers for announcements(to be installed behind the KPs as you like to do). Is adding additional speakers even possible without adding an additional Amp Module? Now, I'm thinking I should have ordered the ones with the mics and a flush mounting kit for direct wall installation. Good or bad approach? Is it a must to order the TWA module is I decide to get the mic/speaker combo? There's no sheetrock up yet, so I still have full access.

206 said:
I put a two way listen in into my new Elk install. I was thinking about a home for the ages - "help, i've fallen and I can't....". In the mean time, I can dial in and have a dialog with my dog while we're out. Or listen in when I get a text alert.

I put a speaker/mic in the kitchen area and the mbr. Here's what I got, although I got all my Elk stuff through Automated Online.

http://www.smarthome.com/1283TWI/M1-2-Way-Listen-In-Interface-M1TWI/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/1283TWS/M1-Speaker-Microphone-M1TWS/p.aspx

A little confused between the items I linked in my first post with yours. Do they accomplish the same goal?

riverhawk said:

A little confused between the items I linked in my first post with yours. Do they accomplish the same goal?
I think so. My TWLI kit doesn't have an amplifier, so my TWLI speakers are connected to output 1 like any other speaker, and the mics connect to the TWLI module.

Yeah - the TWI is just the inputs - the TWA has the amp. When connecting speakers to the M1 you just need to keep the impedance in the safe range - those SP12s are specially made with 32ohms resistance so you can safely hook 8 of them in parallel. If you're not sure which way to go jus wire for both (18/4 is what I'd run).

I do really like the KP2's flush mounted with a speaker behind them.

Back