HS 2.0 Rick makes a statement!!

I'm going to upgrade, but (just my nature) will not do it immediately. Mr. Tinker gave me a demo at CES (details on that HERE) and to ME it will be worth upgrading with these new features and capabilities, but if I learned one thing on forums, what is important to one person may not be so for the other!

With that said, hopefully this thread will NOT turn into another "price" dominated discussion. :lol: :p

Not trying to discus price per se, but I hope HST will clarify their upgrade policy soon. We have seen mentions of "introductory upgrade pricing" or something similar. Those comments imply to me that the upgrade price might change over time or the upgrade price may be removed completely. What do you think is a fair policy? I believe that Microsoft, Quicken & Symantec are pretty lenient for upgrade policies, i.e. you can upgrade to the current version at any time from any of multiple older versions.

BraveSirRobbin said:
...but if I learned one thing on forums, what is important to one person may not be so for the other!
Words of wisdom there BSR!

That's why I also avoid getting into feature list wars when discussing different products. and why there is never a single product that is the best for everyone. I'll usually recommend something as being a personal preference, and not in absolute terms.

I know that there are a lot of platform changes to make life easier in the furture, but, are there any feature upgrades that anyone knows of with 2.0?

WayneW said:
Not trying to discus price per se, but I hope HST will clarify their upgrade policy soon. We have seen mentions of "introductory upgrade pricing" or something similar.
Via HomeSeer;

Will this be a free upgrade?

No. There is so much work being done on this software, we cannot afford to make this a free upgrade. HS 1 will continue to be supported, but no new features will be added. The upgrade fee will be $39 for downloadable upgrades, and $49 for physical delivery. The new retail price for HomeSeer will be $199.

are there any feature upgrades that anyone knows of with 2.0?
There are a couple. They've added some features for professional integrators, and redesigned a lot of the screens to make them more logical. Also moved the TTS off the HS box and onto client PCs, with all the appropriate controls for distributed TTS.

IMHO, my impression would be if you looked ONLY at the new functionality (not the .net change) it would probably be a DOT change, ie HS 1.8. However, with the .net functionality, it is a complete re-write, and thus should be a "new" version.

For me one of the more significant upgrades is multi threaded capability. I hate when HS pauses while a script is running.

Well after looking at it for the last several hours I'm not jumping from the old to the new to quickly. I personally never liked the HTML interface for event creation. The HS2.0 uses a similar interface and it's hard to get used to. I feel trapped many times wanting to go back and not save like exit without save. I'm having major problems creating a simple event that uses a trigger like 5 minutes before sunset. Any time something changes this dramatically it's hard to get use to. I think I will buy another dedicated PC to gradually move over to. It seems you could run both side by side as long as the logic is kept separate.

Rupp said:
Well after looking at it for the last several hours ...

Does that mean you have HS 2.0 beta ??

I never liked the web interface at all either. In fact I RDP into the HS server so I can use the GUI to manage device and events. Status reports from the web interface are ok but still not the best.

Maybe this is an idea for a cool HS support program - recreate the HS 1.x GUI as a front end to the HS 2.x web interface. Then you could have the best of both worlds.

Gemini said:
Looks like the same $39.00 and $49.00 for upgrades.? I don't see the difference?
The difference is the word "introductory". Along with some other comments picked up in various places, this implies to me that if I do not upgrade within XX days after HS 2.0 is released, there may not be any upgrade pricing. In other words, if you don't upgrade to HS 2.0 pretty quick, you may be forced to pay $199 (or whatever the current full price is) when you do wish to upgrade.

jlehnert,

Don't know what TTS is or why that is a benefit to me.

with the .net functionality, it is a complete re-write, and thus should be a "new" version.

Definately agree that it should be a new version.

What I'm trying to get to though is what are the new featues that will make the end user want to cough up $40-$50?

I'm not doubting that HS has spent a lot of time and effort working on this new version and that in the long run it will probably pay off. What I'm trying to get to is what will compel the end user to spend the money on the upgrade. Just saying it's TTS, .net, etc. etc. does nothing for most end users. They want to know features/benefits.

Back