I cannot believe this!!!

Meters have to be outside to be read, and there is usually a master shut-off as well so in emergencies power to the entire house can be cut quickly. And don't worry too much about the meter location - meter readers use all kinds of neat things to read them from far away - stilts, binoculars, mirrors, etc.

Next there is code stating how far and what types of cable must be used (and conduit) from the meter box to the breaker box. This run is supposed to be minimized and not exposed to weather as in many cases it'll be running a 200-amp service in 3-4 major wires to the breakerbox, and at 200 amps, nicking or piercing the insulation on those will DEFINITELY (or at least 2 out of 4) cause you to have a bad day...

But I agree - standing outside in the rain to reach into a breaker box is not my idea of safety no matter where you are. Even in south FL, we had a main breaker box outside, with some external circuits (A/C compressor, pool stuff, outside lights, etc.) and in the garage we had the breakers for the internal house circuits. I was always extra careful around that box. The power cables were all underground in my neighborhood, though.

Here in Maine, I have my service (meter and main shutoff) on the garage, and a fairly long set of heavy cables strung through the garage, then through underground conduit, into the house to the house breakerbox. But the reason it's this way is because the garage was here before the house. And I'm VERY careful not to nick the insulation on those wires! ;-)

You can still bring the other services (phone, cable, network, etc.) into a central wiring spot and fan out from there. All the homes I've owned do NOT have a utility closet or room, other than maybe a crawl space or basement. This one is no exception. I've got to create a central wiring point and wire up the low voltage stuff from there. Since the breaker box is in the laundry "closet", I might try to find space in there to mount a low voltage box, but it doesn't have space for any major gear or computers.

As far as I'm concerned, this just proves something I've always known....

The people in SoCal are just plain nuts! :D

My wife is a contractor who builds custom homes in Washington State. Besides mounting all the services inside, typically in the garage, she always has the foundation guy install electrical conduits and slips through the foundation.

You would have to either dig down about 3 feet, or gain entry to the garage to tamper with the power.

Brian

It's not just CA. Here in GA, when I had the electrical service to my home upgraded, the main shuttoff had to be moved outside to meet code. It's cited as a safety measure so that firemen, or whoever, can quickly shut off power to the house in an emergency.

I can understand having the meter and the emergency shutoff outside that will only be used by trained professionals but the have teh breaker box outside?

I can just see somebody trying to add a breaker or something and leaving the cover off or standing in a puddle working etc.

dscline said:
It's cited as a safety measure so that firemen, or whoever, can quickly shut off power to the house in an emergency.
Isn't that what they have a big ax for, smashing the meter off the side of the house? :)

Brian

DeathtoToasters said:
Well now I have a LARGER problem, with everything outside, I just realized last night...that I have NO UTILITY room in my home!!!
Well, DTT, sounds like you just lost a closet somewhere... or are going to have some post-construction construction already.

Funny posts.

It doesn't rain or snow or much of anything here. When it does rain, we don't really do anything outdoors, generally speaking. Work stops and such. Silly, stupid... but mostly true.

I'm sure y'all will be thinking "yeah, and that's exactly when your breaker will pop..." and you're probably right; but it's SO rare to have rain that lasts long. Most of the region is a desert, by precipitation definitions.

How 'bout when it DOES rain: "cold" to us is 50F degrees - we're wearing down parkas below 60 degrees it seems.

Anyway... just a perspective thing... we just don't really get weather much so keeping things outside just isn't a real big deal.

It's cited as a safety measure so that firemen, or whoever, can quickly shut off power to the house in an emergency.

Still sounds like BS. The first truck company or heavy squad on scene finds the meter, one yank removes the seal, unplug meter, done. It takes longer to FIND the meter than it does to disconnect it. Most trucks now also carry a plate that snaps on instead of the meter, keeping out bugs, water, hands, etc, and protecting the live contacts inside.

About the only benefit I can see is that the power company doesn't have to come out to reconnect the meter

Digger said:
I can understand having the meter and the emergency shutoff outside that will only be used by trained professionals but the have teh breaker box outside?
Agreed. At least here, we only have to have the main cut-off outdoors. My panel and breakers are still inside.

Isn't that what they have a big ax for, smashing the meter off the side of the house?
I think homeland security took their axes away. :(

one yank removes the seal, unplug meter, done. It takes longer to FIND the meter than it does to disconnect it. Most trucks now also carry a plate that snaps on instead of the meter, keeping out bugs, water, hands, etc, and protecting the live contacts inside.
Uh, what did you just say? This is the south. We need a big lever that says "OFF". :D

Back