I have now killed both of our main computers

Hmmm...'fraid I don't have a spare DVI cable, or I could test that.

So, I guess I can buy a new monitor, video card, and DVI cable, and tell the wife "Honey, it's for testing!". :eek:

I have come across this once before.

Long story short.. I finally realized it was the dvi cable from one monitor. Two of the pins in the dvi cable had somehow got bent just enough to touch. So when I plugged it into the graphics card, it shoved two pins into one hole on the graphics card. This caused the pc to not respond. I took a paper clip, straightened out the pin, then carefully reformed the holes on the graphics card. Take a careful look at the graphics card holes, see if it's mis shapen, and check the end of the dvi cable for bent pins.

I was building a batch of Radiologist pc's at the hospital I work, very high end, very expensive pc's. Costs about "mid-range car" expensive pc's. I had built a test bench with only the one set of monitors on it, then built each of the 7 pc's off of that rig. Came down to the last two and suddenly they won't do anything. I then swap back to the original pc's, and suddenly they won't do anything either. As I stood in front of a batch of pc's costing roughly what my house does, I realized the only common denominator was myself, and the monitors.

Well, here was the final solution....

Both PC's are up and running, with DVI to VGA adapters and VGA cables instead of DVI. If I swap the VGA cables for the DVI cables, neither PC will boot up (no matter which DVI cable I try).

I'll look at either cable to look for bent pins, but I'm thinking that's unlikely. However, I know the 2nd PC died immediately after hooking up the DVI cable from my PC into the 2nd one (upon the next bootup, not upon inserting the cable). And then once that happened, it wouldn't boot up with any dvi cable.

Maybe a driver update would reset something. I'm thinking now it's more video card related than motherboard related, since the motherboard essentially just detected that there was no functioning video card and so it halted.

Back