I think I am Going to Go With ZWAVE

Re: Leviton to Z-Wave interface

The rumor is that the software is in beta-test.

Re: Prewire or wireless on new house

Cat5 cable is not very expensive, but pulling cable to every switch is time consuming. For our new house, I made the decision to just go with Z-Wave. Builder wouldn't do Centralite, so that wasn't on the table, and the Cat5 controlled light switches were about the same price as Z-Wave, and based on CT board feedback, Z-Wave was pretty reliable (and my experience confirms this)

Hi, The house is not new construction. It is about 4 years old now. I had the fun task of GC'ing the house, Doing all electric, All LV wiring, And most everything else. Being a security contractor, I can get a wire to any location in the house(Do I want to do this???). I am around installations all day, Sometimes I don't feel like doing them at home. But back to the post, I thought Zwave was my answer, But maybe UPB will work to. Any suggestions? Should I wait for the M1 leviton adapter to come out, Or should I just bite the bullet and go UPB? Tough One...I don't know if this will effect either, But I am planning on only starting out with about 12 switches at first. I already am using the Elk to control outdoor lighting via RIB modules(Pool lights, and backyard lights, off a 100A sub panel about 300' fom the house.) and will probably add all landscaping lighting to newly installed and cabled RIB's(relay In a Box, Great Stuff).

Thanks,

Mike :)

The part that is not finished on interfacing the Leviton RS-232 to Zwave secondary controller is the PC software to make it easy to program into the M1.
FWIW, I am building an 8000 sq ft. home and have specified ViziaRF Z-wave switches throughout. I have already bought my Elk w/TS and would love to use it as my lighting controller.

The part that is not finished on interfacing the Leviton RS-232 to Zwave secondary controller is the PC software to make it easy to program into the M1.

Doesn't Elk have a Z-wave interface? ( http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/M1XZW.htm )
Does anyone have experience with it? Pros and Cons?

-Thanks,
Rod

Haven't tried it, got scared by the reviews. Do s simple search and you'll find what others feel. Essentially, its better to wait

Doesn't Elk have a Z-wave interface? ( http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/M1XZW.htm )

-Thanks,
Rod

I hate to say it, as I have 2 XZWs, but you should not buy one. It appears as though Elk will deprecate the XZW for an XSP interfaced to the Leviton Vizia RZCØP Z-wave Serial Interface Module.

Installation sheet here.
Serial protocol docs here.

This gets Elk out of keeping up with Z-wave protocol changes and lets them take advantage of the "embrace and extend" trick that Leviton has done with the Z-wave protocol, e.g. 2 way status back to multiple controllers.

I keep hoping that Elk will provide a trade in for the XZWs once they are EOL'd. ;)

On the other hand, just wait a little while and I'll sell you an XZW, real cheap! :p

It does what it is advertised to do, it just doesn't appear to be a growth path.

-Thanks,
Rod

I hate to say it, as I have 2 XZWs, but you should not buy one. It appears as though Elk will deprecate the XZW for an XSP interfaced to the Leviton Vizia RZCØP Z-wave Serial Interface Module.

Installation sheet here.

This gets Elk out of keeping up with Z-wave protocol changes and lets them take advantage of the "embrace and extend" trick that Leviton has done with the Z-wave protocol, e.g. 2 way status back to multiple controllers.

I keep hoping that Elk will provide a trade in for the XZWs once they are EOL'd. ;)

On the other hand, just wait a little while and I'll sell you an XZW, real cheap! :p

It does what it is advertised to do, it just doesn't appear to be a growth path.

gcimmino,

Thanks for your input, I think I will be waiting(not to long I hope) for Elk to come out with the interface. Does anybody know if it will be this year?

Thanks Again,

Mike

-Thanks,
Rod

----------
Installation sheet here.

--------

Thank you for the info.
I re-read the Elk M1XZW Installation document and then looked at the RZCØP protocol. What I gather is this:
1) The M1XZW is a secondary controller and does not have the information permissions and associated status information of a primary controller.
2) The RZCØP (may still not be a primary controller, as it requires a RZCPG to enable it, but) does have permission to inquire status and allows the M1 to have full kowledge of the status of devices.

Is that the advantage, Full system status?

-Rod

Is that the advantage, Full system status?

Certainly Leviton's enhanced protocol and full status is one major advantage. I think the other major advantage is having Elk only provide the "protocol converter" between the M1 and the Leviton controller. That way Leviton can rev the controller and keep up with the Zwave technology and Elk doesn't have to.

I can see where there's a fine line between developing your own technology, like Elk has done with the wireless GE receiver and did with the XZW, and leaving some of that to others and just building the bridge, e.g. the various software volumes for the XSP.

I too am looking forward to the next step in this journey.

Back