If you could start from scratch-Lighting

rocco said:
Does this indicate dissatisfaction with what is available?
Have you played around with X-10 any? I mean, if you go through great pains in selecting "just the right" signal coupler and then find all signal sucks in your home, then make sure no sensors will flood the power lines you MAY get your system up into the 90% reliable status. :blink:

BraveSirRobbin said:
Have you played around with X-10 any?
Boy, after 25 years of playing around and I'm still not good at it. :blink:

But what about the new kids on the block? Are we all disenchanted with ZWave, UPB, and Compose?

Or maybe it's just the price?

I picked z-wave but not without my complaints... Z-wave started off very rough for me but most of the issues that i was having was because of my PC and HomeSeer not wanting to keep the USB Controllers driver loaded. I have not had any software issues with z-wave for many months now and I am confident that I will not see any more issues for a long time.

BUT...

As far as devices go I have had 3 go bad on me. The first was a dimmer which blew when a light bulb blew. The second was a replacement for that dimmer which kept overheating and turning itself off for 10 minutes at a time while it cooled and then it would come back on again. And the third switch is a z-wave transmitter which simply stoped working but i have not really looked into this switch yet so it could be something as simple as the wire nut fell off.

But even after all of my complaints about z-wave is would still recomend it because out of 23 switches installed i have only had 2 comfirmed bad ones and some minor software issues. The handheld remote control is a very powerful device its self including timers and scene selection. So even without a software backend it can still act as a "semi" automated setup.

The only thing that z-wave has not put out yet that I want are recepticles. I just don't like the look of the wal modules.

I have tried x10 stuff and I gave up after a few attempts to get my x10 flood cam to turn on via my PC. Only use x10 if its a last resort.

Wow. I must be the lucky one in this group. I have only had one problem with my X10 install in over 10 years of using this stuff. Of course I never tried to use in in an apartment, condo, or townhouse. I bought a cheap power supply once that flooded my powerline with noise but that was quickly taken care of with a better quality PS. The only reason I tried Z-Wave was the switches were cheaper for quasi 2 way operations and it turns out I rarely use the 2way information. I do use it to turn off the shower fans after 45 minutes but that's about it. Using A good quality coupler/repeater should give most users a trouble free X10 installation. A few my need a filter or two to solve a signal sucking problem but that should be about all it takes to get a good quality install.

I agree with Rupp,

I really haven't had issues with X10. I have over 80 devices installed. I have a good coupler/repeater (the plug-in type) and use only one noise filter on my son's fishtank. Noise hasn't been an issue for me - guess I'm lucky.

About 80% of my switches are 2-way (soon to be 100% once I find the time to switch more out). I have Switchlinc switches in most of the house. The master bedroom and poolhouse have Lightolier Compose switches and about half of my ceiling fans in the house use Lightolier fan switches. There is also a Lightolier firewall in the poolhouse.

The poolhouse is on a separate electric feed from the house so signalling between the 2 buildings isn't happening right now. I could do it with transceivers but I'm really waiting for Insteon to solve that issue.

jlehnert said:
I've learned the hard way to "Sell what you have". The complement to this proverb is "Install what's available". With that in mind, I would install the Compose switches. They are the best unit with a proven track record.
I hear ya!!! As an IT consultant I've seen many clients who went with a different vendor based on soon to be released software only to come back to me after the software features never materialized.

I am actually in the process of doing my friends house also but his was a no-brainer X-10. I on the other hand am willing to go through the trial and error process because for me this is a hobby and I enjoy playing around with technology.

I've been waiting patiently for Z-wave to come out with a real 3-way and single pole switches that can handle more than 300W and all I end up doing is waiting some more. :blink:

I think that people tend NOT to talk about their success with X10 since it's the base standard. I also think that it's natural for us to want the latest technology - let's face it, that's part of why we're here! It's too easy to latch onto the leading edge and "assume" that all will function as described. I believe that it's important to remember that only half of this is science - the other half is the specifics of your situation. What works in one instance doesn't always work in another.

My suggestions are:
1 - start slow
2 - don't invest a lot until the specific technology is proven in your situation
3 - don't jump on the bandwagon of the "next greatest thing" - it's rarely that good at first release.
4 - buy from someone who will take returns if it doesn't work out
5 - read, read, read - ask, ask, ask

I have also had great success with X10. I have a simple coupler (not repeater) and have no problems in about 3 years.

I have been using X10 for a few years as well, and besides the one major issue I had last year (appearantly a defect surge protector killed most of my X10 traffic, was one big job to track that one down), my reliability is close to 95% or so. I don't have any filters or boosters installed, just the coupler. If I have issues now, it usually ends up being user error :blink:

I'm very surprised that I'm the only one that voted UPB. In the HomeVision discussion boards - there are several VERY happy UPB users - no failures, no issues, fast response times, etc... I've seen AO comment that UPB seems very robust and reliable - no returns, etc.

So why is it that nobody else is recommending it? Is there something here I should know? (I am within weeks from starting to install UPB switches and want to make sure I'm not missing anything). I know it's relatively new - but it's been around for a little while and seems to have been proven pretty reliable. And Insteon has 7 votes and yet nobody has even used it yet :blink:

There are only a very few software packages which support UPB, but it is definitely something I would consider.

I'm very surprised that I'm the only one that voted UPB.......So why is it that nobody else is recommending it?

I did, with conditions.  Coming at it from a DIY angle, I would go with UPB, IF I was willing to take it slowly and work through the bugs that inevitably come up with early adaptors, and IF I could survive the negative WAF that would go with the bugs.

I really haven't had issues with X10. I have over 80 devices installed. I have a good coupler/repeater (the plug-in type) and use only one noise filter on my son's fishtank. Noise hasn't been an issue for me - guess I'm lucky.

Yes, you are lucky. I had (have?) a customer who's house was wired for X10, ie lights on different circuits than receptacles, a coupler/repeater at the panel, nuetral in all the boxes, etc. One day everything stopped working and I got the phone call in the middle of some "quality time" with a nice blond. I was not happy. ;) Turns out the customer had purchased a new plasma TV that was jsut horrid for interference. The customer did NOT want to hear that his $4000 plasma was the cause of the problem. Luckily an interference filter solved the problem, but it didn't take to many of these types of calls to turn me off on the reliablility of X10 (at least in a professional setting).

True, that can happen. Score yet another advantage point for UPB!

In the office we'll be installing UPB. I think it will be much better for a commercial building.

Several of us saw, touched, played with Insteon at the EHX show in Orlando a few months ago.

I would call the fit and finish of it of "medium" grade.

The anticipated price point is what is of interest to me (on the lower end of the pricing scale).

Only when a few of us have them installed in a real life installation will we know how they really work.

As far as pricing, they are saying that it starts at $20 but I think that's for the plug-in modules. I think that the switches will be about the same as the current 2-way switches.

Back