IFTTT Pro, Anyone Using This?

BraveSirRobbin

Received a strange email from IFTTT describing a 'set  your own price' for their Pro version.  I tried looking for a demo time or more information on what exactly 'pro' gets you, but like most of that site, information on anything is extremely limited.

IFTT.jpg

Just curious if anyone out there is using the Pro service.  If so with what platform(s)?

Is that for companies publishing integrations vs consumers using the IFTTT service? I got the same email but ignored it.

Yes I just discovered I was wrong from watching this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmoKQLK7DY

Good thing I do most tasks locally on Homeseer so cloud services like this can't screw me over as it seems they all eventually do.

Maybe they should change their name to INBTMCM (If Not Bankrupt Then Must Charge Money)

upstatemike said:
Yes I just discovered I was wrong from watching this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmoKQLK7DY

Good thing I do most tasks locally on Homeseer so cloud services like this can't screw me over as it seems they all eventually do.

Hilarious video....it is SPOT ON!!

I wonder what service levels IFTTT can really guarantee to pro users? They have no control over the responsiveness of integration partner APIs, especially the ones that are polled rather than push. And then there is the whole ISP/DNS Server part of the equation that can always be blamed when the SLA is missed so...?

I do not use IFTTT, what is/was it good for? Looks like I might have missed something important that just went into oblivion :)

I got a second email from the company offering me to be able to "set my own price" which they would honor forever instead of just a year.  It sounds like they are trying to manage the huge backlash they are receiving.  Of course the min price is $1.99/mo so that isn't exactly allowing me to set my own price.  Plus, they aren't the first company to offer "forever" pricing and most of them eventually renege on the price model.  IFTTT certainly hasn't done anything to build trust so I wouldn't trust them to honor this commitment.

My own price is $0.00/mo.  If the only way to get that is to drop IFTTT, then so be it.  So long IFTTT!

picta said:
I do not use IFTTT, what is/was it good for? Looks like I might have missed something important that just went into oblivion :)

It was a method to automate different systems (mainly all the new "smart IOT" type devices) in your house using the internet/cloud to do it.  It was free and easy to set up which is why so many people used it.  But it was/is a poor model for an automation system mainly because of its reliance on the internet and other companies protocols to operate.  If you lost internet, or if a company changed their protocols, your setup could (would) cease to function.

I used it to tie some of my "smart plugs" into my automation system because I was too lazy to hack them into using custom firmware (like Tasmota).  Now I guess I will hack them which will be better and more secure in the long run because they will not be connected to the internet.

Back