Insteon 2414X translator cancelled?

WayneW

It appears that the SmartHome 2414X X-10 to Insteon translator project has been canceled. Apparently similar functionality with be obtained in the future using SmartHome software on a PC running 24/7. This may be a good solution for some, but I don't like it. IMHO, the whole point of the translator was to enable things like HAI and JDS panels to pseudo support Insteon. I cannot imagine anybody running HAI, JDS, or Elk wanting to trust all their lighting to a PC, otherwise they would have gone with a PC software solution in the first place.

see Mike's posts starting 02/28 http://www.techmall.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75

Too bad.

I was also interested in this.

My plan is to start with a controller system that doesn't require a PC 24x7 (initial setup and any fine tuning). This would have allowed JDS, Elk and ADI controllers to controll Insteon equipment and still receive the "repeater" functionality that is not available when in X10 mode on the Insteon switches, etc.

While I may eventually setup a system that is 24x7, I'm trying to spec a system that I can really have comfort with. For reliability enhancement, it would have been nice to have hardware controllers that can continue to perform tasks even if the PC went down.

This may push me to UPB, as there are some X10 to UPB translators on the market or about to be released.

I didn't mean to infer anything about the Elk & Insteon with my last sentence. The Elk M1 already supports Insteon and would not need the 2414X translator. so, if you were thinking of getting an elk, the 2414X cancellation has no real impact. If you were thinking of an HAI or JDS or anything that hasn't announced planned support for Insteon, then this is a significant impact against an Insteon deployment. Of course, if your hardware choice doesn't support (or plan to support) UPB and Z-Wave either, then your only hope is a translator or X-10. So maybe a universal translator, such as the Rozetta project from Dave Houston, will have a good market?

Kind of makes me happy that I missed out on buying one. Wonder if the Beta users can get a refund or credit for other Insteon items? As they paid $99 to be a Beta Tester.

WayneW said:
If you were thinking of an HAI or JDS or anything that hasn't announced planned support for Insteon, then this is a significant impact against an Insteon deployment. Of course, if your hardware choice doesn't support (or plan to support) UPB and Z-Wave either, then your only hope is a translator or X-10. So maybe a universal translator, such as the Rozetta project from Dave Houston, will have a good market?
roZetta is a true TW523 replacement so it will be the more appropriate answer for legacy systems such as a stargate or HAI panel. The 2414X translator required everything to go on the powerline twice... first as X-10 then as translated Insteon. (or vice versa for conversion the other way). This was too slow for most controller based activity.

The 2414X is better suited for basic conversion of things like X-10 motion sensors, Big Red emergency buttons, and signals from an X-10 IR or X-10 Ultrasonic controller. Even these are limited because real time conversion of X-10 powerline dimming commands is a problem.

You can also duplicate the funtionality of a 2414X by using PowerHome to do your X-10 / Insteon conversions but you will have to manually write the conversion rules.

Back