Insteon Dual Band Help - Doesn't work over either band just a few feet away?

So I have insteon single band stuff in my house. Probably 12 to 15 devices + one of the older (non wireless, panel installed) phase bridgers. Works at about 99% reliability.

So for christmas I got my parents the stuff they need to start up an insteon network of their own.

Elk M1XSP
Insteon Serial Controller DUAL BAND (to plug into the XSP for their elk to use insteon)
2x Icon Relay Switches
3x KeypadLinc 6 button Relay switches DUAL BAND
2x LampLinc relay

I installed them all later christmas day and...to my dismay..the signal reception seems horrible! I can't believe it. They barely communicate at all.

Three of the four DUAL BAND devices (the controller and two of the keypadlincs) are within less than 50ft of each other and, despite their supposed ability to communicate over the power lines and wirelessly, I can not get them to link to the serial controller or even to each other.

I could successfully get the lamplinc to link to the controller when I was plugged into an outlet a few feet from the controller's outlet. I could also get the keypadlincs to link directly to that lamplink if i plugged them into the very nearest outlet. I could, at no point, get any of the DUAL BAND devices to link to each other.

Here's the kicker, though.... I press the link button 4 times quickly on one of the DUAL BANDs to put it into the wireless phase testing mode..and all the other DUAL BAND devices instantly start blinking and responding.

If they can get these kinds of signals to each other why on earth is my effective USABLE range for linking or turning on/off, even on dual band hardware, about 10 feet?!

I really love Insteon in my house. I specifically paid more to buy some dual band equipment for my parents since I figured if the single band stuff was awesome at my place I'd make darn sure they worked well by mixing in multiple dual band devices. Am I doing something exceedingly stupid here? Do I have some bad equipment? Or is Insteon dual band just a joke.

I really am not trying to flame. I love Insteon equipment..but..man. What is the deal? I really appreciate any help in getting my parent's christmas gift running.

It's normally overlooking something simple, like forgetting to turn a device on before linking it as a responder, that throws people. Come on over to the Smarthome user-to-user forum (navigate to Smarthome's main page, click Help, then Community Forum) or call Smarthome's dedicated Insteon Gold Support line (the phone number is on the Quick Start Guides) for assistance.

I just replaced my PLM with a dual band one and added some dual band switches to my network for XMAS and had all kinds of trouble with devices on several circuits, both phases. I had to add a filter to a UPS to get it all to work. I added a couple of dual-band switchlincs to a couple of circuits that still had some trouble. The only conclusion I can come to is the dual-band PLM has a less powerful signal or is more susceptible to noise/signal sucking.

Alright. I've ordered three of the line filters and three lamp modules that are dual band to act as additional phase linkers/repeaters. There are lamps in several central rooms spread throughout the house so I figured this was a good way to add some backbone to the insteon network and get a few more controlled lights out of it too. I dont know why anyone buys those dedicated phase coupling units when for a few bucks more you can have the same wireless coupling/repeating functionality AND a controlled dimmer output.

Proposals for where to best make use of the three filters? The house is large and has multiple flat screen TVs, computers, refridgerators, etc.

Any certain devices that seem to be the culprit more often than not? I've heard UPS units on computers are but thats one of the few things this house actually has none of. With only three I obviously cant kill every noise maker so tell me what the major ones usually are.

Getting a dual-band device on both halves of your electric service where they can talk with each other should be your first priority. Power comes from your utility on two different 'legs' of 120 volts---about half of your outlets and fixtures are supplied by one leg, about half by the other, and 220 volt ovens/heaters/pumps connect to both. Two devices might only be 10 feet apart in the house, but if the outlets are on opposite legs of power then a power line signal would need to travel past the neighbors and down the street to the utility's transformer, cross there, then travel all the way back. Dual-band Insteon devices provide a wireless signal bridge so signals are repeated at full strength on both legs no matter where they originate in the house, while also giving battery-operated remotes a way to communicate with power line gear.

An x10-style power filter can isolate other household appliances giving off power line noise or absorbing power line signals, but they aren't often needed because each Insteon power line device is also a mesh network repeater. If you suspect another appliance or surge protector/noise filter is interfering with your communications, you can always perform a definitive test without even having a filter--just unplug the suspect device and retest. Only if unplugging the device makes the problem go away should you consider moving the offending device to a different circuit, adding another Insteon device nearby to repeat signals, or isolating the effect of the device using a x10-style filter. Plug-in surge protectors/noise filters/UPS devices may see power line signals as 'noise' and attempt to filter them, so be sure you aren't plugging your Insteon gear into something specifically designed to thwart it!

The nice thing about the Smarthome Insteon user-to-user forum is that it is full of folks who use this gear extensively. Even now, when people are busy with holidays and family, in the time your post here has taken to attract two replies we've had dozens of Insteon-related messages exchanged over there. If you want Insteon help, it really makes sense to post where help is readily available.

Happy holidays!

Back