Insteon Filtering - Furnace Fan and/or AC Unit?

mcraven

Hello, All...

I've got a pretty extensive Insteon setup going now... I've been building up a bit a at a time. I seem to be having a bit of an intermittent communication problem that had me confused but I think I've narrowed the problem down to some combination of the furnace fan and/or the AC unit. Of course, I'm sure there are other sources of noise in the house but this seems to be the key for the moment.

The furnace itself is a DC motor and 120v and is hardwired to the electrical panel. I can pretty easily try to filter this by adding the following:

can't post links :( --> (XFP - X10 PRO Inline Noise Filter 120v)

According to the datasheet, 2x of these can be added across 2 phases to filter 220v loads. That's all well and good but my AC unit is running through a 40A double pole breaker.

1) Is there a similar product for use on higher current applications?
2) Maybe wire 4x with 2x on each phase and in parallel to double the total current capacity?
3) Although for X10 originally, I assume this will do the trick for Insteon too?

comments? any/all help is appreciated.

thanx.

I can confirm that the x10 noise filters do work very well for Insteon. However, trying to get yourself up to 40amps is another issue. I don't know that putting two in parralel is a safe way to let 40amps through.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem with my hot tub which is also 40A and two phase.

I would expect the problem to be noise from the control side, not the high current heaters and motors.  That was my experience with a furnace:  the variable speed blower control put all sorts of noise onto the AC wiring.  Look at the circuit and see if there is a way to isolate and filter the low power control board while leaving the pump/heater loads unfiltered.  That may or may not work depending on how it is wired internally.

Before the X10 Forums closed down.
A few users found the low voltage controls where the problem. As pointed out and fixed the problem by just filtering the power to the controls.

Back