Insteon KPL Question

ginigma

I've got a Insteon KPL V2 switch in 6-button mode with no load attached. I just want it to control other lights. I want to use the bottom button as an "All Off" control but it doesn't work. I have all the devices linked to that button. Do the "big buttons" only control a local load?

Any device linked to the big buttons should work just the same as if they were a local load. Example: I have a KPL in my laundry room with no load. The big buttons are linked to the lights in the kitchen. Works just fine.

Did you link to the top button or the bottom button? I don't think you can link to/from the bottom button.

And as Mike said, I use a KPL at the top of the stairs leading to the basement and the bottom button turns off all the lights. Of course, the top button also turns ON all the lights.

Think of the top and bottom buttons on a 6 button KPL like the top and bottom of the rocker on a regular Insteon switch. You would never program a switch by holding the bottom of the rocker so it makes sense you can't do it with the bottom button on a KPL.

So I guess in the User Guide where it says "desired button" they really mean any button except the bottom big button. Ok, so if I link all the devices to the top (On) button, then the bottom button will turn all those devices off?

One trick you could do is put the KPL in 8 button mode but still use the 6 button faceplate. This kinda lets you use the big buttons as discrete buttons (as long as you weren't using a load).

There are some problems with this that might have to be worked out with either some button linking or if necessary some modification of the 6 button frame (I don't have one in front of me, so I'm not sure which of the two buttons the big buttons activate). etc.

upstatemike said:
Think of the top and bottom buttons on a 6 button KPL like the top and bottom of the rocker on a regular Insteon switch. You would never program a switch by holding the bottom of the rocker so it makes sense you can't do it with the bottom button on a KPL.
On The X-10-only KPLs, you can choose which button controls a local load. So you cannot do this with KPLv2's?

markthomas said:
On The X-10-only KPLs, you can choose which button controls a local load. So you cannot do this with KPLv2's?
Correct, on the Insteon KPLs the load is always either the big buttons or button #1 (top left button).

Has anyone had a problem manually unlinking devices from a keypadlinc button? I tried to manually unlink (hold KPL button for 10 seconds, release, hold button again for 10 seconds, hold device to be unlinked for 10 seconds) two switches from 2 separate keypadlincs last night and could not get any of the links to remove.

For one of the linked pairs I finally gave up and did a hard reset on the KPL and the switcg. On the other KPL in question, I have about 40 links I want to keep so a full reset is not a desireable option.

Is there a "bug" with the KPL V2's that prevents unlinking via tap-tap?

I did not have a chance to look at the linking tables with Powerhome.

Jeff,

If PowerHome has discovered the 40 links in your KPL, then you can just do a "Delete from PH" on the links you wish to get rid of, perform a factory reset on the KPL (could get rid of any flakiness), and then do a "Rebuild" on the KPL. This will have the added benefit of defragmenting the link database if you had any gaps.

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for the tip! I'm still curious if this is a known bug that will be fixed with a future FW update by Smarthome also.

Back