Insteon SDK is now available

WayneW

INSTEON - The ultimate in wireless home-control technology

The INSTEON software development kit provides the documentation, software and hardware necessary to develop INSTEON-based home monitoring and management software applications. Development support is available for the enthusiast as well as the professional software developer. As an INSTEON developer, your INSTEON software applications may be distributed through Smarthome or may be offered as shareware at INSTEON.net to thousands of electronic home improvement professionals and enthusiasts. No pricing discounts will apply to this product.

For $99 you get:
  • INSTEON User & Reference Guide
  • PowerLinc V2 USB or Serial
  • LampLinc V2 plug-in module
  • Email support certificate
  • INSTEON developer web-site username and password
USB: http://www.smarthome.com/insteon/sdk2600u.html
Serial: http://www.smarthome.com/insteon/sdk2600u.html

I don't know when this first appeared on http://insteon.net/ but it is pretty close to the "30 days from now" that I was told at EH Expo. Therefore, I am still hopeful that they will stick to their May 25th ship date for core products, but I cannot find anything to confirm or deny this date is still accurate.

I did get conflicting info at EH Expo as to what would be included in the SDK package. Unfortunately there is not any sort of controller or switch included, so unless you are a developer, you cannot do much playing with this kit.

More info at this previous thread http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=1525

I got an email from them about this last week(?). I had planned to post, but I guess I forgot. :)

I decided I have enough things to play with and didn't need to spend the $99. But I'm curious to hear what others think about the system.

I think the system is great, from what I have seen, heard, and played with at EHX. I just wish the SDK came with a controller. For $99, you are only getting about $55 worth of hardware, assuming they stick to their plan to keep prices about the same. If it came with playable hardware, I would have jumped on it, even though I wasn't a developer and assumed I would use the PowerLinc as soon as HomeSeer adds support for it.

Which opens the questions, will HS 1.7.x support Insteon? Or will that be something that "forces" me to upgrade? That would tick me off as I don't see any urgent reason to upgrade to 2.0 yet.

Who will be the first HA product to claim support for Insteon?

BTW, what kind of email did you get? I get the "normal" advertising mailings from SmartHome.

WayneW said:
I just wish the SDK came with a controller. For $99, you are only getting about $55 worth of hardware, assuming they stick to their plan to keep prices about the same. If it came with playable hardware, I would have jumped on it, even though I wasn't a developer and assumed I would use the PowerLinc as soon as HomeSeer adds support for it.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't really have time to approach it as a developer and, because of that, have no need for their support. If it were cheaper, I'd go ahead and buy it.

BTW, what kind of email did you get? I get the "normal" advertising mailings from SmartHome.
When they first announced Insteon (or at least when I first heard about it), I asked them a question through their web site. I assume that either there was an option to get developer-oriented email or they just added me to their list.

{edit}
I got the email on Mar 24 2005.

Hmm. It might help if the pages listed actually worked. They've got a syntax error in the html on their pages.

<FORM name=buyitnow action=\basket.asp method=post>

Note the backslash instead of the forward slash. When you try and buy it, you get a 404 because http://www.smarthome.com/%5Cbasket.asp doesn't exist. Dumbasses!

Wayne, I also was very impressed by the setup at EHX. I went back no less than 3 times and talked to the reps :)

As for the May 25th date, Martin at Automated Outlet has said he will carry the Insteon products, and also mentioned they would be available "the end of May".

I have been waiting for a reliable interface and devices for some time. I skipped the Zwave due to the sheer cost, and the master remote control thingy.

NOW even when it is released, will have to wait and see if HST will support it for HS 1.x. I also see no need at this time to upgrade to 2.0. My system is stable, tweaked and working fine. When I ran HS 2.0, a couple weeks back, quite a few of my scripts, ASP pages and a few other small issues kinda made me backaway till all the kinks are worked out.

The other thing, and I may get flamed for this one, I know a few others have been thinking it.....and expressed in one way or another in chat....

I am not a fan of Dot Net (DOnT NET in MY opinion). I like the look feel, and instant reaction of a applications interface. Tabs, nicely layed out screens ect, To have to do everything through a web browser, having to load pages ect... is just not my thing. Especially since it will not work with FireFox. Going the DOnT NET path, locks them into using MSIE. This is all of course, just MY personal opinion.

Yes, I thnk that the May date is still good.

Please keep this in mind though. In this May timeframe, it is the plug-in modules that will be available along with the new computer interface.

Switches will come this summer.

WayneW said:
I am still hopeful that they will stick to their May 25th ship date for core products, but I cannot find anything to confirm or deny this date is still accurate.
A "little birdie" has told me that the SignaLinc RF, LampLinc, and ControLinc will be shipping by May25th, as previously planned. More products will be rolling out during June & July.

It appears that HomeControlAssistant and Indigo for Mac might be the first third-party products to support Insteon.

Back