Insteon switch to control dimmers?

danrad64

Here's my situation: For a home theater set-up, I have three banks of lights controlled by Insteon dimmers. My plan is to control scenes with a Logitech or other universal remote. But, also, I want to be able to turn off all three banks with a single switch (well, actually, two three-way switches). I set it up using normal three-way switches that send the load to the dimmers, but there's about a three-second delay between flipping the switch and the lights coming on.

I was wondering if I used Insteon switches, if they would turn the dimmers on and off without the delay.

Does anyone know?

You power off your insteon switches from regular switches!? So you must turn on the regular switches before they respond to the remote? I assume your delays are the time it takes an insteon switch to "boot up".

Yes, if youreplace the regular switches with insteon, and link them together, the delay will be much reduced.

You can have Insteon switches turn off other switches by using scenes. Also, If you have a controller like the ISY-994 you can have each insteon switch control it's own light circuit with a normal press on or press off AND you can program logic into the ISY so that when you double tap on or off (fast on or Fast Off) on one switch in gang of 3, the other 2 switches will turn on or off with the one double press. If you use the IR version of the ISY you will also get the harmony remote control capability you are looking for instead of buying an IR only controller with limited capabilities.

danrad64 said:
I want to be able to turn off all three banks of lights with one switch.

This is easily achievable with Insteon. You can program one switch to turn on/off multiple switches. For example, I have a keypadlinc that can turn all my external lights on with one button. Personally, I recommend doing it with a keypadlinc rather than a switchlinc, as you may find additional uses for the buttons (such as setting up scenes / mood lighting).

The downside is the expense. Rather than spending $2.95 for a simple 3-way toggle switch you end up spending $50 for a switchlinc or $70 for a keypadlinc.

Buy an ISY or a PLM/Houselinc will go a long way toward making these switches easy for you to program.

Ditto on most of what has been said.

As far as using a logitech or other universal remote, you'll need something to receive the IR signal and convert it to Insteon.  This could be an ISY or it could be an Insteon IR linc receiver.  There are other devices as well, but those two are most directly linked to Insteon.

Logitch remotes have the ISY IR codes built in (at least the Harmony series does).  Not sure about others, but you should be able to program them in if not.

Personally, I have an isy 994i pro and several logitech harmony remotes (890 and 900 models).  It works very well.  Of course I would not expect you to buy an ISY if the only purpose is gong to be ir receiving, as it is a lot cheaper to buy an ir linc.

Glad we all seem to think a like.

The ISY has far greater value than just IR control. If anyone plans to grow an Insteon system the ISY should be purchased in the beginning so you don't have to relink / reprogram the devices. It is capable of finding links and scenes so to speak but it is recommended to let the ISY do it from scratch. (which doesn't take very long to program anyway)

If you want to have a computer running 24/7 then houselinc may be an option. I can't speak for it, though.

Also, An IR linc is 1/4 the cost of an ISY. Save your money, invest in the ISY and thank me later B)

gatchel said:
f you want to have a computer running 24/7 then houselinc may be an option. I can't speak for it, though.

I found Houselinc very useful for configuring/linking devices and for diagnostics. I liked it much better than the ISY-994. In the end I've gone with the ISY though, because when I took the next step to writing custom rules (programs), I'm not willing to leave a PC powered on all the time to implement the rules. If the OP does not see a future where he'll be using custom programs or timers, then Houselinc would be a fine solution.

snakevargas said:
I found Houselinc very useful for configuring/linking devices and for diagnostics. I liked it much better than the ISY-994. In the end I've gone with the ISY though, because when I took the next step to writing custom rules (programs), I'm not willing to leave a PC powered on all the time to implement the rules. If the OP does not see a future where he'll be using custom programs or timers, then Houselinc would be a fine solution.

Agree with the last part.  I have never used houselinc to know if I would like it better in any way, but I have heard it has some useful diagnostic tools that ISY does not have.  

Although either way (ISY or Houselinc), you need a 2413.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe houselinc can be used with either 2413s or 2413u.  ISY I know must use 2413s.  So I suggest 2413s for future conversion from Houselinc (free) to ISY (not free) if desired.

If you really only plan on 3 or 4 switches and you don't want any programs or network interfaces (smartphones) or anything fancy, you can probably save the money and just program it manually.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm brand new to Insteon and home automation.

Couple more questions:

Houselinc is PC-only, correct? (We're a Mac household.)

Can I set up scenes from the dimmers/switches, or do I need a more sophisticated controller?

If so, would the SmartLinc Central Controller be a workable substitute for the too-pricy ISY?

2412N Smartlinc Central Controller is discontinued and replaced by the 2242-222 Insteon Hub.
This is the redesigned HUB as the original model was a dog and full of bugs.

danrad64 said:
Thanks for all the advice. I'm brand new to Insteon and home automation.

Couple more questions:

Houselinc is PC-only, correct? (We're a Mac household.)

Can I set up scenes from the dimmers/switches, or do I need a more sophisticated controller?

If so, would the SmartLinc Central Controller be a workable substitute for the too-pricy ISY?

Pretty sure that houselinc is pc only.

Yes, you don't need any software or other controller.  The switches can be manually programmed.  It is just very tedious if you have more than a few simple scenes.

BLH said:
This is the redesigned HUB as the original model was a dog and full of bugs.

No. A new smarthome product full of bugs you must be kidding... B)

Beta testing the earlier versions of HL is one of the reasons I now have an ISY.

Back