IOT to monitor sump pump water level

Like Bob, I pump a lot of water, I have three electric sump pumps and a fourth water powered all in the same sump pit, about 50 gallons. The smaller pumps are lowest then the larger electric, last the water powered. All four pumps have there float switches at different levels, activating an additional one as required. The lowest small pump may run three months in the spring without shutting off. Each pump has its own circuit. I also have a automatic backup generator. In my setup the float switches fail before the pumps. I am looking to replace a Sensaphone autodialer that is more compatible with cell phones.

Here I used to use one of the Sensaphone autodialers many many years ago.

You can purchase a cheapo 3G autodialer alarm combo these days for less than $100 on Amazon and I have seen them include free cellular applications.

I would tell you I have messed with floats in my water tanks for drinking water and the only thing that holds up and works well is a traditional float for a sump pump.  I would suggest using that which is a regular switch and can be tied in quite easily - provided you have the room.

This is a little off-topic and may have already occurred to you but have you considered installing a second sump pump at a slightly higher water level than the primary pump. This second pump would run only in the event that the first pump fails and the water level rises.

I have a two pumps that work this way and fit in the same sump hole. The primary pump runs on AC mains power and the secondary pump runs on a large capacity marine battery. Having the second pump on battery power not only covers you in the event of the primary pump failure but also in the case of a power failure. There is also a floating sensor connected to my Elk that alerts me when the water rises.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
This is a little off-topic and may have already occurred to you but have you considered installing a second sump pump at a slightly higher water level than the primary pump. This second pump would run only in the event that the first pump fails and the water level rises.

I have a two pumps that work this way and fit in the same sump hole. The primary pump runs on AC mains power and the secondary pump runs on a large capacity marine battery. Having the second pump on battery power not only covers you in the event of the primary pump failure but also in the case of a power failure. There is also a floating sensor connected to my Elk that alerts me when the water rises.

Mike.
JimS had also recommended using a second pump at the site.  Honestly, it initially never occurred to me to use a second pump.  But I will now use a second pump as a backup based on the recommendations in this thread.  I'll also use a water level sensor to send text messages to me when water reaches a certain level.

Here too use a second pump which is battery backed up and and an autonomous wired sensor to the OmniPro 2.

I waited too long to install this as the impetus was failure of the primary sump pump. (causing flooding - not much - but I was away on business such that wife had to deal with calling a plumber to have it replaced).

The plumber installed a Zoeller pump.  The Zoeller pump replaced a no name pump (from Wisconsin) purchased with a life time warranty from a big box store.

I have though here removed the original 12VDC secondary pump and replaced it with a better pump.  The plumber also suggested going with a more commercial style sump pump and charging circuit than one installed.

Back