IP camera for front door camera

PaulD

Looking for a decent IP camera to use as a front door cam. My phone system offer options for a front door cam but I would prefer to go with an IP camera. The IP campera I have seen so far are a bit bulky to mount close to door so you can see faces. Would like to find something smaller that can be mounted so that it is not overly obvious. No ceiling mount (not interested in the top of their head). What options have I missed?

Looking for a decent IP camera to use as a front door cam. My phone system offer options for a front door cam but I would prefer to go with an IP camera. The IP campera I have seen so far are a bit bulky to mount close to door so you can see faces. Would like to find something smaller that can be mounted so that it is not overly obvious. No ceiling mount (not interested in the top of their head). What options have I missed?
Hi,

You could use a video encoder like this and combine it with the camera of your choice - there are lots of small CCD cameras available.

If you look around you will probably find lots of cheaper equivalents to the Axis product too.

Paul

Hi,

You could use a video encoder like this and combine it with the camera of your choice - there are lots of small CCD cameras available.

If you look around you will probably find lots of cheaper equivalents to the Axis product too.

Paul

Say Paul,

A question on those cameras, where is the suggested price listing? I might have missed it.

I am interested (in learning the price), but not interested enough to submit my contact information to some unknown sales rep. :lol:

Ken

Ken;

Do you mean the Axis 241S Video Server (not a camera)? It's around $440 (just google "best price for Axis 241S"). :lol:

You might also want to try your luck with EBay.

Also, FYI, sometimes some EBay deals will come up with the older Axis 2400 Video Server.

I've had one of these IP 9100a Video servers in service for about 2 years without any problems. At less than $100 for 4 cameras, I thought it was worth a try and it proved to be a good buy. They can be controlled via web browser and there is a basic API for programing if you desire.

I've had one of these IP 9100a Video servers in service for about 2 years without any problems. At less than $100 for 4 cameras, I thought it was worth a try and it proved to be a good buy. They can be controlled via web browser and there is a basic API for programing if you desire.
Man, you had good luck with those units? I'm surprised as I had terrible luck with the one I obtained years ago. The round robin option did not work and I never could get four stable images on the camera. I did hear of later models having newer firmware that was supposed to fix these glaring problems. Maybe you purchased the second generation?

Man, you had good luck with those units? I'm surprised as I had terrible luck with the one I obtained years ago. The round robin option did not work and I never could get four stable images on the camera. I did hear of later models having newer firmware that was supposed to fix these glaring problems. Maybe you purchased the second generation?

I am pretty sure I have the 2nd generation. I would agree that the software isn't the best but it works well enough for me. I usually am looking only at one camera at a time. There is a somewhat active group that develops software for it but I haven't tried any of it. Again, the investment was a small enough investment that proved to be worthwhile.

Keep in mind you get what you pay for and Axis has the best Quality Features and Warranty out of any IP camera I have tested. Your best be would me to go with a video server and a analog camera if your choice.

Also what you can to with the Axis server is hook up the trigger in to your doorbell and you can set up a rule so when some one pushes the door bell you can send images to your email or in my case my Blackberry. I works great and easy to setup.

I would use the 247s or the 241s both $499.00. The 247s is very small and it is POE to power the server and has power output to power the camera.

I would definately not suggest Axis as their bang:buck sucks, if you can find one on ebay more power to ya but $440 (which is a wholesale price) isn't so hot.

I'm here for you if you want it done right, with the greatest bang:buck on new gear.

EDIT:
Oh crap you are actually in OK! lol When I visit my brother/sister inlaw in Moore I may be able to swing by if you like.

Back