IP Camera Recorder Software

DougM3

Hello Everyone! I am new to this gig, but have many years of IT and computer experience as a Sr. Network Engineer. I am looking for the "best" IP camera NVR/DVR software or a standalone software. I would prefer it be a standalone NVR, but I need the price to be under $1200 total for 8-16 channels. I can build a low cost PC to perform these duties also if that is what it takes. This will be for recording IP cameras only.

Anyone have any solutions they have used and like?

Thanks,
Doug S.

I haven't used any of the more expensive NVR software, but try Blue Iris, it's flexible and pretty cheap. I built a dedicated machine for it, currently run 10 cameras with no issue.

Hi, Doug.

For the last year I've been using QNAP's VioStor VS-2008 Pro NVR for my eight exterior IP cams that range from 2MP to 5MP. I've been happy with the setup and can access the NVR with my Galaxy Nexus, too. They make a 12-channel model, the VS-2012 Pro, that can be found for right around your budget. Here's the link: VS-2012 Pro.

Here are a couple of screencaps of my NVR. It's easy to use and has many different views. The actual NVR is clearer than these caps posted here.

HTH,
Kevin

Attachments

• NVR-1 Screencap 1.jpg
    NVR-1 Screencap 1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 47
  • NVR-1 Screencap 2.jpg
    NVR-1 Screencap 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 40
Thank you everyone! Remote access is a must. Will Blue Iris allow for remote viewing via iPhone/Android? I had happened upon QNAP also. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming. I learn a lot on this forum!

I used the Viostor Vs-2008 (not pro) before switching to Blue Iris. I did like it, the disadvantage at the time was that it used ActiveX. The app for iOS is not bad but sometimes takes a while to load. At the time, I figured if I were to spend another $700 to expand another 8 (16 total) cameras, I might as well just build a system to be my master server for CQC. I use it for a backup right now.

Remote access is available for both I believe via dyndns. Generally though I VPN in so I have full access to everything. I think Blue Iris has been developing an app for iOS for some time now, haven't seen or heard about it though. There is some basic JSON API commands Blue Iris accepts, which was a bonus for me to integrate with... Not that I've done anything with it so far.

I did a trial of Vitamin D, and the motion detection was very nice. You can use the free version (just 1 camera) to test. My problem was that I didn't see any updates coming... But the support was helpful.

I can't remember the differences, but there were enough that I chase the Pro version of the 2008. I don't have any IOS devices, so can't comment on the QNAP app, but on the Android, it comes up quickly - just tried it - 4 seconds from app start to display of all 8 cams. Actually is faster than using the browser version on a PC.

I have VitaminD. Biggest disappointment is lack of remote access. Plus, apparently, development has ceased, though support still available. A shame, since the motion detection is great.

Kevin

I just finished up a decent sized project using Millstone, it was pretty good for an entry up to halfway decent sized install. I wouldn't choose it for more than 100 cameras, but it worked where I was installing it.

They are all IQeye cams of various models: 752, 753, 855, A11, and A32, except for Garage. That's an Acti ACM-3411.

Try Security Monitor Pro software. It is reasonably priced and has the best interface and usability of any of the mid level security software -

Back