IP Camera Suggestions Please

Yes, check on the new Ubiquiti line. 720 h264 ip cameras w/Poe. No comparison to the poor color display of the Foscams. They can live outside and are quite small.

I like ubiquiti - I've bought and installed many thousands of dollars worth of their stuff lately, and actually have an aircam installed over my driveway... I think it's a great product that's come a long way towards improving our options, but they have no means whatsoever for night viewing. They're not compatible with IR illumination even if you bring your own. The lens has the IR filter built in. If you change the lens, the software can't compensate and you'll get horrible day-time images.

It's close to midnight right now - here's a picture of my driveway now that my porch lights went off 10 minutes ago
Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 11.40.40 PM.png

Once they fix that, I think they'll be a game changer.

I've got an Airvision overlooking my driveway. Only installed temporarily right now, but will probably get to mounting it permanent today. The picture is much better than my previous analog (700tvl) camera. I can read my license plate number now (about 20-25' from camera) whereas before it was just a blur. Colors are much better and night vision isn't a problem for me as I have plenty of outdoor lighting at night, therefore no burglars in 40 years.

I'll likely switch to LED bulbs outside before long - that way I can dim them partially but use motion sensors to kick them up to full brightness - that should fix the lighting issue for me too.

In contrast to my last picture, here's one at half-resolution right now - it is great during the day - when my wife pulls the car in, I can see the cup in her cupholder well enough to know where she grabbed lunch :ph34r:
Screen Shot 2012-09-29 at 7.59.24 AM.png

I use a mixture of Geovision and Vivotek cameras. The Geovisions are GV-VD320 and GV-BL320 dome and bullet respectively. Both are 3mp POE outdoor, IR capable (i also have a 96 led IR blaster for the BL-320 as it looks across my back yard which is around 150 feet long) and provide pretty decent night viewing.
The daytime images are great and provide input/output options as well as motion detection. My only issue with the Geovisions is that they don't have a directly accessible MJPEG stream for access by my HAI OPII panel, so I have to run their mobile server software on my touchscreen which does give an MJPEG stream. Not the end of the world, but adds an extra layer of complexity.
The Vivotek is an 8136 1mp ultra small dome which I use for the front door, it does have a directly accessible MJPEG stream, so the OPII can display it directly.

Here is Australia, the 3mp Geovisions are around $600 with the 1mp versions around $400. Not sure how much they are in the US though, but having just gotten back from a month over there, everything is so much cheaper!

Should also mention that I have a Foscam 8918 PTZ camera for internal use. For the money it's pretty impressive, but it's motion detection is pretty average (I get dozens of emails with just lighting changes inside the house) and the resolution is pretty low, but pan and tilt for under $100 is pretty good.

Today inquired about a new MP sub $200 USD IP POE camera. Looks like a decent sized fooprint.

Attached is an Ubiquito Airvision IP camera view. (currently utilized as a weather cam)

Attachments

• HDIPPOE.jpg
    HDIPPOE.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Aircam.jpg
    Aircam.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 39
Hey all, after reading this thread I am leaning towards purchasing 3 of the Ubiquiti AirCam Domes, but i just wanted to double check to make sure it would be compatable with my system,

i am running an HAI Omnipro II with an HAI Camera Server Model 87a00-1, i have cat 6 running to each camera location for poe as well as a LV wire and rg6. I would like to be able to pop the video from these cams up on my 5.7e touchscreens as well as my tvs around the house. I also have a 2n Helios door station with a poe camera built in.

If someone could just confirm that these will work for me for this setup it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Also just out of curiousity what would roughly be the price range i would be looking at if i wanted to go with a POE camera with decent resolution, nightvision, and pan/tilt/zoom?

Reilly

I can't tell you if it'll work on those screens or not, but if you want to test it then PM me and I'll give you the URL to my driveway cam to test - I have the ports opened up already. (For the Ubiquiti AirCam).

For PTZ, you can go from a $90 foscam to >$1K+. Depends on resolution and lighting requirements. The Foscam's resolution is a little low but for $80 what can you say? But there are challenges to using it outdoors because of reflection of the IR in a dome.

OK, so i spoke with HAI support today and they told me in order to use the HAI camera server i need analog cameras, and if i wanted to split the video signal to the TVs in the house analog would be the best way to go splitting the signal from the camera to the tv's and the camera server.

can anyone recommend so good quality analog cameras?

or would there be a better way of doing what i want to do?

thanks for any input.

BTW thx work2play, i dont have internet setup at the site yet as its still under construction., so i wouldnt be able to test in this way.

I went with Foscams. For the money, they are hard to beat. I also have a High Def Axis but I could have gotten 5 Foscams for the same price.

Back