IP232

rickerdo

Is it possible to use the IP232 instead of the M1XSP for every serially connected device? Is anyone using the IP232s yet?

Also, any plans to use POE to power the IP232?

I've been using a similar device - http://www.gridconnect.com/net232.html for several months now to connect my DSC alarm system to my Linux box. The Linux box and alarm system are on opposites sides (and floors) of the house, so a direct serial connection was out of the question. So far, this has worked without a hiccup.

Just out of curiosity - will the M1G work with another vendor's Ethernet/Serial bridge? If not, will the IP232 work work with third party virtual COM port redirector software?

I'm not sure if any of the above really impacts me yet, I'm still trying to figure out what my options are before plunking down the cash.

The IP232 does not replace the M1XSP.

It will work with third party virtual COM port redirector software from HW Group.

CQC can also work with out a COM port redirector if the driver is designed to use a IP connection instead of a COM port.

The IP232 does not replace the M1XSP.

It will work with third party virtual COM port redirector software from HW Group.

CQC can also work with out a COM port redirector if the driver is designed to use a IP connection instead of a COM port.

I should have RTFM in more detail before posting. After having done so I realized that the connection is only between the IP232 and a TS07. That's a BIG disappointment. I'm not knocking the M1 for not having this feature, considering what else it CAN do.

It would be a nice feature though. <nudge> <nudge>

After having done so I realized that the connection is only between the IP232 and a TS07.
That isn't exactly true either.

from the manual said:
The ELK-IP232 is an Ethernet to RS-232 Serial Port Bridge. It may be used to connect any standard serial
communications device such as a PC, an audio/video distribution system, or an Elk-M1 Control, to an Ethernet
network.

Note: The ELK-IP232 is not replacing the ELK-M1XEP. Unlike the ELK-M1XEP the ELK-IP232
does not offer a built-in web server and cannot send email or alarm reporting.

After having done so I realized that the connection is only between the IP232 and a TS07.
That isn't exactly true either.

from the manual said:
The ELK-IP232 is an Ethernet to RS-232 Serial Port Bridge. It may be used to connect any standard serial
communications device such as a PC, an audio/video distribution system, or an Elk-M1 Control, to an Ethernet
network.

Note: The ELK-IP232 is not replacing the ELK-M1XEP. Unlike the ELK-M1XEP the ELK-IP232
does not offer a built-in web server and cannot send email or alarm reporting.

Understood, but I was referring to how the IP232 would communicate with the M1 over Ethernet, which it cannot. An example would be using the M1 to communicate with a Russound CAV 6.6. I was hoping the IP232 could communicate with the M1 through the M1XEP over Ethernet so that the CAV 6.6 could be used to trigger events or be controlled with rules, or other M1 triggers. An example of such a thing would be use the CAV 6.6 as an expensive alarm clock.

Now that I think about it, I would assume that interfacing with the CAV 6.6 could be done through am M1XSP anway? That would assume that the CAV 6.6 uses ASCII commands on it's RS232 port. That's another topic entirely though...

BTW. I know the IP232 doesn't replace the M1XSP, but just the thought of being able to talk to serial devices sounded pretty interesting to me, that's all.

The IP232 is an Ethernet to serial bridge. Example: With Hyperterminal open a socket connection to the IP232 and send serial data to and from the device. It was originally designed for the TS07 Touchscreen to control the Russound CAV/CAM 6.6 whole house audio/video through an Ethernet connection. It can be used with any device that needs a serial to Ethernet connection. You can connect up to about 12 socket connections into the IP232. All serial data from a socket connection goes onto the serial port and all data from the serial port is sent to all socket connections.

Unlike the M1XEP Ethernet module, no webpage is served and no email capability exist on the IP232. You may use the IP232 for a serial only connection to the M1 to connect an automation computer or ELKRP without a M1XEP.

Spanky, I'm confused here, so let me ask a simple question to confuse me more :p

Can I write a rule on the M1 to send (or receive) a text string to the IP32?

Thanks.

The IP232 and the M1XEP Ethernet modules both act as servers. This means that a client device must open a socket connection to the IP232 server. Once this connection is made, the M1 can send and receive data to the client.

In the case of ELKRM sending data to an IP232 connected to a Russound CAV6.6 Wholehouse audio/video system, the ELKRM is the client originating the connection and the IP232 is the server. The ELKRM is also the client when talking to the M1 through a M1XEP Ethernet module.

One difference in the IP232 and the M1XEP Ethernet modules is the M1XEP redistributes Links, Audio, and video setup information when multiple versions of ELKRM are installed on a system like with multiple TS-07 Touchscreens. Also the M1XEP keeps an image of the M1's status for quick responses when ASCII commands are received from the ELKRM or other third party software. Should you use an IP232 in place of the M1XEP for basic ASCII string pass through, the response time will be slower because the Ethernet packet is received, sent to the M1, response from the M1, and then sent back onto the Ethernet. The M1XEP receives a status request on a Ethernet packet and responds immediately back onto the Ethernet.

Back