IR distribution problem

shenandoah75

I have two IR zones and have had both working for some time:

1) Family Room (HT) + Downstairs (WH audio): Niles CS100 (ceiling receiver) + Niles MVC100IR Volume Controls (5) + Xantech 791-44 Connecting Block

2) Master Bedroom: Niles CS100 (ceiling IR receiver) + Xantech 791-44 Connecting Block

Due to spotty reception with only 8' ceilings and a large room in zone 1, i just installed a Niles MS110 in the family room/HT area (under the plasma) in the wall... I've disconnected the ceiling mounted one in same room completely. And here in lies my problem. If i connect just the MS100 to the xantech block on its own its fine. If i connect just the MVC100IRs, they work fine too. If i connect both, the MVC100IRs continue to receive and transmit, but not the MS110. I get no signal in the family room when the MS110 is wired in parallel with the others...

The connections for the VCs and the Sensor in zone 1 are just bundles and wire nuts of all the cat6 together, but the leads are long enough and i'm getting good connections (and i've tested this like 10 times all with same results)... And i know the coloring schema is the same on all - in the followinh notation, first color is the cat6 pair (at the parallel connections and the xanech block), the second is the lead on the CS100/MS110 (orange/red = 12V, Green/black = ground, brown/yellow = data, blue/white = status).

Again, bundling or not, i take the same set of twisted pair leads (i.e. orange/orange&white for 12V+) and connect tem to the block and it works fine... Anyway, i'm willing to do buy another block if i need to isolate and feed the MS110 output into the current block, but i just don't see what's wrong... I suspect the problem lies on the signal line, but don't know why...

thx in advance
-brad

Well i caled Niles... gentlemn appeared to be eating his lunch while trying to help me :)

But he claims it sounds like a compatability issue and is because the MS110 is an older model. I could try to swap with a 200 series. But i don't see any flush mount / peep hole like this in such a series...

Anyway, i started trying all kinds of connections and bottom line is i can use the VCs' mute and volume controls (giving up IR down stairs) and get the upstairs IR receiver working just by not connecting the downstairs IR leads. Not exactly my ideal solution, but i'll take it for now unless somebody can give me something more concrete.

thx
-brad

Back