IR Distrubition::1 STB to Multiple TVs

DotNetDog

I plan to use ComCast in a new house that we're building. We will have an In-Law suite in the basement where by mother-in-law will live. She will have 3 TVs: 1 in her bedroom, 1 in her den and 1 in her kitchen.

Since it's only her living in the suite I want 1 ComCast STB to send to all 3 TVs. I can house the STB in the wiring room or at one of the TVs (probably in the wiring room). I would probably use a Harmony remote since I think that they can handle multiple TVs and one STB.

I need to figure out how to do the IR distribution. I've been looking at Xantech. What I mostly see is sending IR from 1 TV to multiple source devices. I want to do the opposite...multiple TVs to one common source.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I plan to use ComCast in a new house that we're building. We will have an In-Law suite in the basement where by mother-in-law will live. She will have 3 TVs: 1 in her bedroom, 1 in her den and 1 in her kitchen.

Since it's only her living in the suite I want 1 ComCast STB to send to all 3 TVs. I can house the STB in the wiring room or at one of the TVs (probably in the wiring room). I would probably use a Harmony remote since I think that they can handle multiple TVs and one STB.

I need to figure out how to do the IR distribution. I've been looking at Xantech. What I mostly see is sending IR from 1 TV to multiple source devices. I want to do the opposite...multiple TVs to one common source.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Hi,

You could use an Harmony remote like the Harmony 900. You would install the RF base at the STB location. You could then define activities like "Watch TV Bed", "Watch TV Den", "Watch TV Kitchen".

For each of the TV or local equipments, you will use the IR from the remote. For the STB, you will specify that you want the IR to be sent from the RF base.

If she has 3 DVD players, you have to do the same thing for the activities. "Watch movie Bed" ....

It's a bit more complicate for her but it would work.

Now that's interesting. My mother-in-law doesn't watch DVDs (too complicated). She only wants to watch TV...live TV...no VOD...no DVD...nothing. Ya gotta like it when she keeps the requirements so simple.

I hadn't thought about using a RF repeater type of solution. So would she just take the one remote (Harmony 900 with her from one TV to the other? I just realized that my initial post was off on the remote issue.

Initially, I plan to use some kind of IR distribution meant that she would have 3 ComCast remotes....one at each TV. Each remote would be programmed for that TV (on/off/volume).

Having one Harmony (900) remote that she has to take around to each TV is something I need to think about. I like it...but will she? Hmmm...

I was going to go the IR repeater and distribution route until I relaized that the harmony 900 had the IR blaster included. I am currently using an 880 but will be upgrading to the 900 for this reason. The old 880 is pretty beat up and the battery is not as cabable as when it was new. You can get the 900 for sub $300 online at reuptable dealers. I think i saw it on B&H Photo for around $280 ish.

As far as 3 remotes, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 30 remotes. You will always be looking for the one you need to use.

Now that's interesting. My mother-in-law doesn't watch DVDs (too complicated). She only wants to watch TV...live TV...no VOD...no DVD...nothing. Ya gotta like it when she keeps the requirements so simple.

I hadn't thought about using a RF repeater type of solution. So would she just take the one remote (Harmony 900 with her from one TV to the other? I just realized that my initial post was off on the remote issue.

Initially, I plan to use some kind of IR distribution meant that she would have 3 ComCast remotes....one at each TV. Each remote would be programmed for that TV (on/off/volume).

Having one Harmony (900) remote that she has to take around to each TV is something I need to think about. I like it...but will she? Hmmm...

You first idea has the advantage that her remote will be near her most of the time. If you follow the Harmony 900 route, she will want to watch tv while in her bed only to find that the remote is in the den...

I've installed in my house a Xantech IR network. You would need to pass wire (Cat5) from each tv to the STB location. At each TV location, you install an IR sensor. Be carrefull choosing the sensor model. Like if you have Plasma TV.

At the STB location, you will need a connecting block with an IR emitter on the STB. That way, you need three less expansive remote.

You first idea has the advantage that her remote will be near her most of the time. If you follow the Harmony 900 route, she will want to watch tv while in her bed only to find that the remote is in the den...

I've installed in my house a Xantech IR network. You would need to pass wire (Cat5) from each tv to the STB location. At each TV location, you install an IR sensor. Be carrefull choosing the sensor model. Like if you have Plasma TV.

At the STB location, you will need a connecting block with an IR emitter on the STB. That way, you need three less expansive remote.

Stef,

This was my original idea. Given the "personality/temperament" of my mother-in-law I think having a remote at each TV might be better. She is a VERY "set in her ways" lady. And I definitely want to minimize MY pain. ;)

I am wired at each TV drop with 2 RG6 and 4 CAT6 so I'm covered for that. I'll poke around the XanTech site a bit more to see if I can figure out which parts I need. I will do a cost comparison between the two approaches. However, it may come down to simply asking my mother in-law which she prefers.

EDIT: I checked the XanTech site. I remember that what I mostly see is multiple sources to 1 TV. I need the reverse...multiple TVs to 1 source. However, the 79520 block is only around $100 so while it may be overkill it may still be cheaper.

Stef,

This was my original idea. Given the "personality/temperament" of my mother-in-law I think having a remote at each TV might be better. She is a VERY "set in her ways" lady. And I definitely want to minimize MY pain. ;)

I am wired at each TV drop with 2 RG6 and 4 CAT6 so I'm covered for that. I'll poke around the XanTech site a bit more to see if I can figure out which parts I need. I will do a cost comparison between the two approaches. However, it may come down to simply asking my mother in-law which she prefers.

Keep this as simple as you can! ;)

My IR network is solid. You will have less support call that way.

Back