IR/RF trasmitter?

jls944

I am looking for an ir transmitter/receiver to create macros (i.e. turn on tv, turn on cable, turn on receiver with a push of a button) for my HT equipment? I was looking at the Ocelot and USB-UIRT but am not sure if they will work considering my computer is in a different room than my HT equipment. Would I have to go with something like a Global Cache to make the 50+ feet? Also, what if I wanted to control the HT equipment from another room? For instance, I want to change the radio station from my porch (porch speakers are powered by my HT receiver).

What about the equipment from universalremote.com. The MSC 400 with IR extenders should do what you want coupled with their remotes.

check out this thread.
I talk a bit about IRTrans and a few others offered their solutions to a similar problem.

I am looking for an ir transmitter/receiver to create macros (i.e. turn on tv, turn on cable, turn on receiver with a push of a button) for my HT equipment? I was looking at the Ocelot and USB-UIRT but am not sure if they will work considering my computer is in a different room than my HT equipment. Would I have to go with something like a Global Cache to make the 50+ feet? Also, what if I wanted to control the HT equipment from another room? For instance, I want to change the radio station from my porch (porch speakers are powered by my HT receiver).

That solution seems a bit pricey for me. Also, I don't think it's compatible with Homeseer. Do you know if the Global Cache will allow for 2-way communication?

yes, HS just released a new Global Cache plug-in that can read IR input in addition to its older plug-in which handles IR output. of course, all communication with HS is done via IP.

I use an RF remote (Snapstream Firefly) and a USBUIRT with EventGhost, I don't know the actual max distance on the flashers but you could always go to an up the coax style system. I have all my stuff centralized so I manually turn TVs on/off, not a big deal to me as both are kinda in the way getting to a chair generally.

You can have something like 16 different Firefly's, each has ~100-150' range.

Back