IR

noshali

Folks,

Need suggestions on choosing an IR device. I have USB-UIRT and of course it is PC based. In order for me to have it next to my A/V equip I need to have a pc. Also, not sure on how many devices I can control with with by using wired IR out of it.

So please give me your feedback on a solution that can work on its own (without PC) is expandable and can also receive commands from a PC using ethernet. I have a ehternet connection next to my A/V system

Main concern is if the pc goes down...then don't want the ir to stop working.

regards,

There are many solutions which will work in tandem with your USB-UIRT (I use one too). What you may be looking for is an IR distribution system. These have been discussed several times here.

Here are some threads to get you started. I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting answers to any questions you have.

My IR... (not mine literally; that's the name of the thread)
IR distribution help

http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/remote/ir500p.asp

This seems to be the new thing hiting the market. They are taking pre sales now and CQC already has plans to support the card so I am sure other will follow if possible.

The card is very nice because each of the 4 ports can be toggled via software to act as an input or output. Also each of the 4 ports are addressed individually so instead of having a blasting effect that may cause two of the same devices in differnt rooms to come on you can tell the card which port to output the signal on so that only one device will see the signal.

I don't know much more about it but there is a running thread on CQC and Dean seems to know a little about the card.

The PCI card will replace the USB-UIRT, but it won't take care of the original request to have a system that works even if the PC is down. You will still need a distribution sytem, too. Going with Xantech (or anything similar) allows you to distribute and to inject "manual" signals from hand-held remotes.

I like the idea of that card, in general, but it's very expensive. It seems to be a solution for people who absolutely must have everything in one box. I believe that Dean mentioned this in his announcement.

As Dave just mentioned, an Ocelot would be a good standalone solution. If you only need one zone, then the SECU16-IR isn't even necessary. There is no built-in ethernet connectivity (its serial) but I used a Lantronix EPS1 print server ($5 to $10 on ebay) to make it ethernet. Plus, an Ocelot can do a whole lot more then just IR.

Is the following true:

"If Infrared is Utilized, Requires IR-100 Connecting Block or SECU16IR and IR-E1 Emitters, Sold Separately

If X10 is Utilized, Requires TW-523, Sold Separately"

Will it take codes (remote central) or will I have to teach it the codes from the remote. One of my receivers, I lost the remote and cannot get one as it is an older discontinued model.

regards,

I use the Ocelot for IR only and I do not have either of the 2 afore mentioned devices. I use powermids to transfer my IR all over the house with 100% success. The reason I know it's 100% is I open and close 12 blinds daily and if it missed a signal I would know as the blinds would still be closed.

The connecting block is only needed if you want to use a single zone (like when you are using just the Ocelot without a SECU16-IR) and you want to send IR to several devices with stick-on emitters. Alternatively, you can get a IR blaster or even make your own, which is what I did.

Yes, a TW-523 or PSC-05 is needed if you want to use its X10 capabilities.

You can import Pronto codes directly into the Ocelot using a utility called IR-Max that you can download free from ADI's web site.

Another option would be to look at a Global Cache unit. This is a LAN device if you can string a network wire over to your audio equipment. I know HS and CQC support this device.

Another option would be to use Xantech modules to distribute the IR signals.

The Pod

Back