Is Elk M1G Really the Best Option for Me

DonK

Well, I'm still musing over my alarm system. After all the reviews on here I thought that M1G was the way to go, but now I'm not so sure. My procrastination is due to my meagre needs - I don't want / need home automation or video surveilance.

So, my situation / need is basically
2 buildings in close proximity (a few yards between them)
Power in both buildings
Space protection in several zones in each building
Need to be able to activate / deactivate buildings and zones (could run with two control panels if required and not too expensive)
Battery back up
Smoke alarms included in the system - at least one in each building (probably 2)
Panic buttons in each building
Two indoor sirens and one outdoor siren with strobe or other visual indicator
A dialer that rings several numbers if the system is triggered, and uses a wireless call system if the line is cut.

Any other system suggestions appreciated

So, is the M1G really my best option, or do I just need a basic alarm system from GE, Honeywell, etc ?

I'm probably going to move in a year or two, hence my lack of desire to go with anything too elaborate. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Everything you have listed seems to be alarm related only. Certainly the ELK can do this, but the ELK is designed to do much more along the lines of automation and tieing different systems (like lighting, etc) together.

If you only want basic security functions, then there are other less expensive options available like the GE Caddex.

Putting the different buildings (or even different areas of each building) on seperate alarm zones is easy. Each zone basically acts as a seperate alarm panel for the end user. You have to have a keypad for every zone obviously since you will need a way to arm and disarm the panel. Each zone can have different passwords, so you can turn off just one zone, or perhaps have a master password that would turn off all the zones, etc - what ever you need.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the GE systems. When I build my next (retirement) home I will include an ELK M1G type system, and lots of automation for the times when I can't move around and do things for myself :)

Thanks, I'll take a look at the GE systems. When I build my next (retirement) home I will include an ELK M1G type system, and lots of automation for the times when I can't move around and do things for myself :)

DonK,

I was wondering if you had looked at Elk's more basic ELK-M1EZ8, it might be something to consider if you are planning to eventually have an M1G (or whatever their next model is). This might still be more than you want to spend on this installation, but it would be a way to get you started with Elk. I have found Martin and his folks at Automated Outlet to be some very good people to work with.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Brian

DonK,

I was wondering if you had looked at Elk's more basic ELK-M1EZ8, it might be something to consider if you are planning to eventually have an M1G (or whatever their next model is). This might still be more than you want to spend on this installation, but it would be a way to get you started with Elk. I have found Martin and his folks at Automated Outlet to be some very good people to work with.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Brian

Thanks for the tip Brian. I'll consider that too. I will take a look at Automated Outlet. One thing there seems to be no shortage of in this business is equipment dealers :)

don, you got that right! lots of competition so that makes it TOUGH. Fortunately, im my markets there are not alot of installers. woohoo! now if i can just figure out how to make mainlobby work, LOL

Back