Is there any MCE 2005 Client?

marteken

Hello, I have a MCE PC controlled with a touch screen. I have other computers aldo and I would like to control the same instance of the MCE PC. Is there any client software or any way to do it? I would need to access the same instance and look at the same screen of the MCE PC since I have addon programs that would like to control in another instance.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to look into an RDP solution. There is an RDP hack (search for termserv.dll) where you can have a couple of clients connected to one PC.

There are many disadvantages to this, and you probably will want to replace MCE with a client/server system (which has it's own headaches, but there are tons of advantages over MCE).

I think another way to put what DavidL is saying is, when you get to that point is you have outgrown MCE...

(It is my opinion) That starts then getting into the next 'level' where products such as MainLobby, CQC and others play. They allow a great deal of control over the av experience and are (in many cases) designed to be run separately from the main display.

I started with MCE and really liked it (aside from a few minor items) and am now in the process of trying to use Sage and CQC as I want (for example) a touch screen to select the music and movies (among other things).

EDIT: I think the other thing you may want to look at is XBOX 360 extenders, although it may not be exactly what you are looking for. You may want to clarify why controlling the single instance is important from multiple locations (as most want to instantiate multiple instances in multiple locations).

Thank you David ans Mike.
Mike, I want to control the same instance because in my house I have 4 zones and one MCE PC. The PC is connected to a receiver with a 4 zone speaker selector. So basically I have 1 source and 4 zones, so I would like to add toutch screens in each zone.
Im using mControl to integrate some x10 and zwave modules; and I have it connected to a GC100 for IR controlling my receiver and TV.

Thank you

marteken said:
Thank you David ans Mike.
Mike, I want to control the same instance because in my house I have 4 zones and one MCE PC. The PC is connected to a receiver with a 4 zone speaker selector. So basically I have 1 source and 4 zones, so I would like to add toutch screens in each zone.
Im using mControl to integrate some x10 and zwave modules; and I have it connected to a GC100 for IR controlling my receiver and TV.

Thank you
MCE is not really geared to handle multiple zones. To have a true multizone audio setup that can play a seperate track in each zone you need a player/database like J River's Media Center. It can handle true multizones. Add a client/server front end like Netremote (look for my Now Playing - 5 zone skin) or Musiclobby/Mainlobby both of which have support for JRMC. I use MCE for my home theatre needs but it lacks for my music playing. As far as I know there is not any client fronends for MCE. Besides running some thin-client RDP type clients to access the same screen I think your out of luck. Of coarse even with that you will still only be able to play a single CD in any of the 4 zones that you turn on.

I believe they are working on a plugin for MCE for Netremote. If that works out you could design a client screen that controls your MCE from you other zones.

John

Back