Isn't this a pretty good deal.

Rupp:

Don't forget about the operating system costs if you are going to be running Gate's ware (vs the Linux that comes with this).

Do you have a Fry's in your area? Very often they have low end PC's with XP Home edition (only 128mb ram) for cheap.

Not a bad system at all, I believe Wal*Mart has low end systems for sale too now, and you could always wait for one of those Dell machines which have a much faster cpu, in the $300 range, but this price is after rebates if I am not mistaken.

You can get a basic Dell (Celeron 2.40, 256mb ram, 40gig hd) for $299 after $50 rebate from Dell Small Business. Or a Dell server (P4-2.8, 256mb ram, 40gig SATA hd) for $349.

Zack,
I just went through an ording episode with Dell that may prevent me from ever ordering with them again. After configuing one of the entry level small business servers and making the order they wanted over $100 for shipping and then wanted me to prove I was a small business. I called and they would not sell me a system from this listing becuse I was not small business. I told them there was no way I was going to pay $100+ for shipping. They said oh well. So we hung up. The next day they called me back and said not only could I order the system but shipping would be free. I ordered but wasn't happy about the run around. On top of that that is 2X the price I'm looking at. I can add a 160 GB hd from sams for $69 and 256 ram for $49 at best buy. Soo I'm coming in at lest than $300 without rebates and more ram and a larger hard drive.

Rupp said:
I ordered but wasn't happy about the run around. On top of that that is 2X the price I'm looking at. I can add a 160 GB hd from sams for $69 and 256 ram for $49 at best buy. Soo I'm coming in at lest than $300 without rebates and more ram and a larger hard drive.
Yea, but with the Dell you can say "Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell!" :lol:

I forgot to send in my $100 rebate on the low end Dell I bought just before Christmas. Don't tell my wife. I hate rebates and the companies that play the rebate game.

Rupp said:
Zack,
I just went through an ording episode with Dell that may prevent me from ever ordering with them again. After configuing one of the entry level small business servers and making the order they wanted over $100 for shipping and then wanted me to prove I was a small business. I called and they would not sell me a system from this listing becuse I was not small business. I told them there was no way I was going to pay $100+ for shipping. They said oh well. So we hung up. The next day they called me back and said not only could I order the system but shipping would be free. I ordered but wasn't happy about the run around. On top of that that is 2X the price I'm looking at. I can add a 160 GB hd from sams for $69 and 256 ram for $49 at best buy. Soo I'm coming in at lest than $300 without rebates and more ram and a larger hard drive.
Ordering from Dell Home and Small Business have been relatively painless for me, even stacking up big coupons. Getting an english speaking CSR from tech support is another story. :lol:

Back