It started with the basement...

Kaoru

Hi,

Being a newcomer to these forums, I wanted to bounce my little DIY project off the collective mind of CocoonTech. It started with my basement, finishing it I mean, where I have 2200 sq.ft. and tons of ideas. One of those ideas was to build a dedicated home theater which I began in 2006. Now three+ years is a long time considering that I'm the cusp of drywalling, but in my defense, when I said DIY it literally means me, myself, and I. My Black Ice Theater (construction thread is on digitalhome.ca) is still a long way off but I've fully completed the bathroom and the daughter's bedroom.

Of course, the wife's patience :eek: has run out and I've been ordered to complete the Rec. room at least by the summer. Big problem... because the room is in the center, once drywalled any wiring/cabling, etc. will be impossible. So.... I decided to wire everything; no small task considering one of my ideas was to put in a home security and automation system.

Since the word "can't" is not in my vocabulary :icon_pai: , I proceeded to buy the following:

1 x M1GSYS3 M1GSYS3 - Elk M1 Gold Alarm System Kit with Keypad: M1KP2
1 x ELK-930 - Elk Doorbell and Telephone Ring Detector
1 x M1BBK2 - Elk Flush Mount Kit for M1KP2
3 x M1KPAS - Elk Decora Keypad Arming Station
1 x M1DBH - Elk M1 Data Bus Hub
1 x M1XEP - Elk M1 Series Ethernet Interface
1 x M1XIN - Elk M1 Input Expander
3 x AMS-T17 - Amseco Recessed Mini Contact Screw Term Press Fit
17 x AMS-10S - Amseco Mini Surface Mount Contact Side Leads
3 x DG75 - Paradox PIR Motion Sensor Digital 90 lb Pet Immune
1 x ODC-59B - Amseco Garage Door Magnetic Contact Form C
1 x M1XSP - Elk M1 Series Lighting Expander & Serial / Thermostat Interface
1 xELK-SWB28 - Elk 28" Structured Wiring Box with Hinged Cover
2 x ELK-SWD1 - Elk Rubber Gromets 2 pack for SWB14/SWB28
2 x ELK-SWG - Elk Circuit Board Glides
1 x M1XZW - Elk M1 Series Z-Wave Interface
5 x CA3000 - Intermatic Intouch ZWave Switch
2 x HA01C HA01C - Homesettings ZWave Wall Receptacle
1 x TR40 - RCS TR40 RS485 Serial Automation Thermostat
1 x ELK-SWS - Elk Battery Shelf for SWB28
1 x GRI2600 GRI2600 - GRI 12VDC Water Sensor NC Relay Alarm Contact
1 x BCON100 - B Connectors 100 Pack
1 x ELK-150RT ELK-150RT - Elk Outdoor Alarm Siren in Stainless Enclosure
1 x ELK-SL1R - Elk 12V Alarm Strobe Red
2 x CO8RD CO8RD - American Sensors CO Detector LCD Display 12/24VDC Form C Relay
2 x 457 - Paradox Glasstrek Glass Break Sensor
3 x SA360 - American Sensors 120V Hardwired Smoke Detector
1 x ESA5011 ESA5011 - 120V Hardwired Ionization Smoke Detector with Relay
2 x FSA-210AST FSA-210AST - DSC 2 Wire Smoke and Heat Detector
1 x CA3500 - Intermatic In-Touch Z-Wave Decora Receptacle 15A

I've got all the upstairs door/window contacts installed with 2.2K EOL resistor soldered. The Elk M1 is up-n-running in its can with all the components mounted (the phone connection, doorbell/phone detector, and thermostat is yet to be wired) with the one keypad. Basically, I got the core system done and configured via ElkRP.

Next up is the smokes, CO, and arming stations (with the PIRs, glass breaks, garage door sensor, and outdoor siren yet to do). That's coming along but this is were things become uncertain. Of course, my initial foray into HA was to go ZWave with the Elk M1XZW... But not knowing that you need a "primary" controller to setup the ZWave network; that was a gotcha... So I ordered the ControlThink:HomeEssentials + USB ZWave key which to handle that part.

My next thoughts is a touchscreen with either CQC or MainLobby... I'm torn since my HTPC runs BeyondTV which is supported by MainLobby. Also, the whole issue of the ZWave switches not broadcasting their state on manual/other controller commands bothers me. I'm open to suggestions and/or comments about the above and following the HA path.

Cheers,
Kaoru

Is it too late to run cat5e to each light switch location in case you want to do hardwired lighting control?

Since the word "can't" is not in my vocabulary :icon_pai: , I proceeded to buy the following:

Wow...for buying all that stuff, my problem is usually that the word "can't" is in her vocabulary.

Welcome to cocoontech. There's lots of Elkies here, but I'm not among them. The only part of the equation I could help with would be CQC, should you go that route. Under the assumption that it would be of trivial cost to you, you might consider SageTV and HD200 extenders integrated with CQC for your HTPC.

Wow...for buying all that stuff, my problem is usually that the word "can't" is in her vocabulary.

Welcome to cocoontech. There's lots of Elkies here, but I'm not among them. The only part of the equation I could help with would be CQC, should you go that route. Under the assumption that it would be of trivial cost to you, you might consider SageTV and HD200 extenders integrated with CQC for your HTPC.
The real reason why it has taken 3 years is the necessary understanding (and all the grovelling) that I've fostered over time. She wanted the basement finished only when I show her the advantages. For example, I got my home theater/HTPC when I showed her that she could record her shows whenever she wanted. She gives me an inch, I take a mile but spin it as this is what she wanted. :icon_pai:

The HA system is a direct result of her issuing "I don't care what it takes, I WANT the basement done!", I took that literally obviously....

Cheers,
Kaoru

s. For example, I got my home theater/HTPC when I showed her that she could record her shows whenever she wanted. She gives me an inch, I take a mile but spin it as this is what she wanted. The HA system is a direct result of her issuing "I don't care what it takes, I WANT the basement done!", I took that literally obviously....

Hahah...that's awesome. I'd say you'll fit in just fine here at cocoontech. :icon_pai:

I love writing books, this is a test just for IVB....he wanted just one line but I figured I would give him more. I'm int he same boat as the OP. I've been working on my basement for a year and a half. I have over 5000 feet of wire run. Recent changes/additions are to have

a projector in the ceiling with a 101 screen. I'm still hooking up my Elk, but it's fun. Man ElkRP is the bees knees

ok,let's try again...

Welcome. You're on AVSForum too, aren't you? I'm pretty sure i've seen your stuff there. Several of us are crossovers.

Two thoughts:
- Add speakers
- Add sensors to detect when doors/windows are opened for HA/lighting purposes

Speakers:
I personally chose to purchase Elk single-gang 32Ohm speakers powered via the Elk-800 amp, in addition to my onwall/inwall speakers powered by my whole-house NuVo system. That's because I wanted to use TTS/CID/doorbell .wav file/etc, but the time delay for the inwall was a bit too long. Plus the Elk speakers are cheap as hell, and wiring was simple.

ok, uncle. I have the response saved off, but anythinglonger than a few sentences throws an IE error.

What error? Can you take a screenshot? If you don't mind, start a new thread about this in the Feedback forum, so we don't derail this one. Thanks!

Here's a brief rundown of what I've done to date; I'd post pictures but need a few more posts for that I assume:

• I've finished the framing for the entire space. The end result is a kitchen/bar, dining room, game area, hallway, bathroom, exercise area, recreation room, office, work area, bedroom, and finally the home theater.
  • Installed a 200 amp service and all electrical is completed. The home theater has a Lutron Grafik Eye which has a PELV cable back to the Elk.
  • I built, installed, and currently maintains the backyard pool, pool deck, main deck, and hot tub. Wife got the hot tub, :huh: I got the home theater... but I built everything with team Ed (me, myself, & I).
  • Trimmed out/finished the basement bedroom and bathroom for my oldest daughter who just turned 21 and I THANK GOD :D for giving me the energy to put her downstairs.
  • As for the home theater, I've built the riser, 110" DIY screen (which I will replace), projector (Hitachi UltraVision), custom mount (isolated), equipment closet with DIY in-wall rack.
  • All the A/V wiring for the HT and the recreation room. This includes prewiring for a 6 zone whole house audio system. Cat 5e is run everywhere throughout my house (as I did it in a former lifetime); currently I have 24 drops.
  • Have a complete laundry list of supplies, appliances, etc. that I've bought. The appliances like stainless steel fridge, stove, OTR convection microwave, dishwasher are the wife's Christmas gifts. The wine cooler, Grafik Eye, Ultimate Arcade, and other toys were mine.
  • Have built a complete media network using a main HTPC with four capture cards, HDTV enabled, and using Beyond Media/Beyond TV. Connected to that is two satellite HTPCs, and a laptop (the wife's). A DIY media server provide a couple of Terrabytes for videos. Currently have 500+ DVDs listed in my DVD library which will be eventually put on an expanded media server.
  • Elk M1 Gold and components are all installed and running in a basic security system mode.
That's the state of the union so to speak... where I'm headed is to either a MainLobby/CQC system to tie it all together.

Cheers,
Kaoru

Back