I've got the automation bug bad - in search of new ideas!

Hi ,

I am new to this forum and trying to automate my home. I bought house 3 years before and planning to automate such as controlling lights, thermostats, view inside & out side using cameras, control garage and front door locks etc using internet / iPhone/iPad/Andriod Phone, get text message/call some thing happens at home. I am aware that i can get all from companies like ADT etc. I am looking for independent control (my self) and avoid monthly charges.

I notice in this post, all the options are covered which i am looking for . In fact more options are covered.

I am looking for the details list (what i have to buy and where to buy) and guidance to install.

Could any one can help me to accomplish my home automation.

Please share your knowledge and experience. [email protected]

Your help is Greatly appreciated.

Best,
Vas

Didn't see this mentioned, but my alarm system turns on every light in the house when it goes into alarm mode. Between 16 System Sensor smokes, two system sirens and every light in the house coming on, no one can sleep through a fire alarm. And... no burglar would dare hang around long enough to hear the added sound of a 12 gauge round or 9 mm round being cambered!

I also have a Master Bath towel warmer automated to come twice a day.

Night lights in the baths are also automated to come on a dusk, go off at dawn.

Simple logic checks the garage doors for closure each night.

nvas - this is a DIY forum... knowledge and experience are generally shared on the forum for all to benefit from, rather than offline via email... and if you're looking for someone else to do all the homework, you should talk to an integrator who's getting paid for their expertise.

If you want to DIY, you at least need to do a good share of your own homework then come with targeted questions. It doesn't take much reading to figure out that there are a few basic options... Either a hardware panel such as Elk or HAI, or a software-based solution that ties together other security and automation systems. For lighting, there are the hardwired and retrofit solutions - since you're looking for retrofit, you're talking Z-Wave, Insteon, or UPB. There's no single clear leader - they're all used for varying reasons that are personal to the person choosing each. For thermostats, there are the ones that communicate to the Elk or HAI, or you can go with something like HomeSeer and see if it supports Z-Wave tstats or how mature support is in the Elk or HAI... or even some of the wifi tstats. Or you could skip all this, go with a Mi Casa Vera, get a supported DSC security system, Z-Wave everything else. Just depends on your preferences and goals.

For a simple example - I have an Elk M1G - handles the majority of my security and automation. I use RCS thermostats on a multi-zone controller connected via serial to the M1G... I use UPB lighting for ~65 loads; I use an output expander with a relay board for my sprinklers and garage door control; I have doorbell integrated, speakers and keypads around the house; etc. I have UPB control of my fireplace even (Check my signature for info on UPB). I use Elve software for some additional rules; to integrate X10RF to UPB, and to someday get more complex touchscreens. Which way you go depends on your preferences.

Just saw this thread while searching for something but what caught my eye was the iphone presence detection script mentioned by @chedemefedeme .
Can @chedemefedeme or anyone help and elaborate how this can be accomplished ?

It's pretty simple actually. I'm not sure what software you are using, but take a look here for more detailed information: http://www.mysmarthomeblog.com/page--11.html

Is there an easy way to set up this presence detection with Elk. Im not much of a programmer but if someone posted a script or good instructions on how to set this up that would be great!

Thanks Jon, I currently don't use any HA software. I'm leaning towards HomeSeer since it allows me to control my SONOS devices via its plugin and will search to see if anyone's implemented iphone proximity within HomeSeer

Is there an easy way to set up this presence detection with Elk. Im not much of a programmer but if someone posted a script or good instructions on how to set this up that would be great!

There is no way to do it onboard the elk. I use a PHP script running on a linux box, but you could easily write this in virtually any language you wanted. The actual detection is done by pinging the iPhone every few seconds. You must assign the iPhone a static IP on your network. You must also build in a 15 minute timer window since an idle, screen-locked iPhone only turns on the wifi every 15 minutes or so to check for email (make sure this is enabled). Once my script has determined a change in iphone status (say the iPhone hasn't been seen for 15 minutes..assume no longer it is sleeping and that it has left home) I then call perl and the ElkM1Control perl library to push the status of the iPhone's presence back to the elk by toggling an obscure input.

I've not updated my code in a long time. It doesn't seem to work all the time for some reason, but it shouldn't be too difficult to re-create or improve upon.

I haven't seen these suggestions listed, although you may have already implemented them:

Automatically close the garage door. Home is armed away and you've pulled out of the garage but forgotten to close it (assumes garage door is monitored but not a security zone). Waits 5 minutes then shuts door and sends email. If door fails to close, sends email.

Report weather alerts (handy when we are at home). Announces the alert and changes Omnistat2's background color to red.

Report missed calls (handy when we are working in the garden). Phone number is displayed on Elk keypad but only for select (family) callers.

Back