Keeping Deer and Elk out of Garden

. . . most of the non-harmful deterents (ie scent, noise, sprinkler) techniques effectiveness is relative to how hungry the dear are . . . during a drought, your lush green plants WILL get eaten . . .

. . . the tall/electric fence, loose dog (might be illegal), or some form of 'population control' (also might be illegal), are the only truly effective solutions . . .

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

pete said:
loose dog (might be illegal)
in my case, the dog is contained with an invisible fence. He chases the deer to the boundary of the invisible fence and then stops on a dime before hitting the "beep zone" ;) The only time he will venture any deeper into the woods is if I walk with him there.

Is it considered off topic if my solutions don't involve automation?
With a family of farmers, and deer as a constant pest...I've found the following to be the 2 easiest (and fairly reliable) methods for keeping deer out:

1: Irish spring soap (just keep it off the ground) (for the garden, not you;-)
The scent repels deer fairly well. Replace the soap when it is about 50% its original size.

2: Old VHS tapes. Put the actual tape (not the whole cassette, just the actual tape part) on poles so the tape streamers in the wind.

If steps 1&2 don't work, then throw soap and old VHS tapes (with cassette) at deer.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
RB
Just a farmer boy from Tennessee.

Edited to fix bad spelling

Back