Keyless entry using a cellphone.

There are many times when I was living in an apartment that I wish i had keyless entry. I would not recommend this to a homeowner but its a priceless solution for apartment renters. Especially those who have to share a laundry machine with the whole building. I can't even tell you how many times I went to check the dryer and locked my self out. I use to keep a window unlocked just becuase of this.

If I understand his circuit correctly, just ringing his phone will unlock the door. Not so cool - no security.

it doesn't clarify it in the article, but I "think" this is just unlocking the outer door to an apartment building with interior apartment doors (and personal manual locks).

I just skimmed the article, but it sounded like he added a second phone line just for this purpose. As long as he's the only one that ever calls it, everything is fine.

Wrong numbers? Telemarketers? Politcal researchers and poll takers??? Nuisance callers? (well, that's all of the above)

C'MON IN!!!

When I started to read it I thought he was going to use one of the x10 phone transponders (think thats what they are called) and use some sort of x10 module to trigger a door strike.

If all you do is ring the phone, it's almost as bad as hooking it directly to the doorbell...

security by obscurity folks... if nobody knows he has this feature, then it doesn't hurt anything as the door is only unlocked for a short time. so unless somebody happens to be trying to open the apt building door while his phone rings by coincidence, nothing happens. And since it is a VOIP number, it is very hard to tie that to a physical address anyway. So unless somebody got his cell phone, it would be very hard to determine that phone number he used.

Mike said:
If all you do is ring the phone, it's almost as bad as hooking it directly to the doorbell...
What about a specific pattern of "buzzes" on the doorbell which unlocks the door?

WayneW said:
security by obscurity folks... if nobody knows he has this feature, then it doesn't hurt anything as the door is only unlocked for a short time. so unless somebody happens to be trying to open the apt building door while his phone rings by coincidence, nothing happens. And since it is a VOIP number, it is very hard to tie that to a physical address anyway. So unless somebody got his cell phone, it would be very hard to determine that phone number he used.
I reread this: We are talking about the entryway into an apartment building, not a traditional residence right? If thats the case I guess it is not so bad. I'm sure the other tenants would love to know about this (so they can use it).

More risk of someone holding the door open for someone who does not belong than getting the number. Now if this was for his actual apartment, that is just crazy (I don't care about obscurity there...).

I have an Asterisk PBX at home. I do something along these lines, but for a different goal. But it would easily adapt to a more secure remote entry method. Dial a special number (heck, I have 6 numbers at home, any would work for this), enter a short pin or simply match based on callerid or whatever.. and divert to the SPA1001 to trigger the circuit. There are probably better ways though, eg: a printer port relay module.

For here, I dial a number, enter a 3 digit code, then can control certain house functions. The most important one here is that I can reset the timer attached to my son's computer.. (he has a daily time limit that can be extended if needed)

-Peter

Back